Mississauga Residents Fight Against Townhouse Development
Residents are fighting against a proposal to build 24 three-storey townhouses on Blanefield Road, according to the Mississauga News.
The proposed development would happen on an area of primarily vacant land located at the southeast corner of South Service Road and Blanefield Road.
The landowner, Tupelo Investments Limited, is seeking an official plan amendment and rezoning to permit the development of the townhouses.
"We all understand the city of Mississauga and the complexity of the city is changing," said area resident Tony Martini, who spoke on Monday during a planning committee meeting at City Hall.
"But a lot of the residents in this area are long-term residents and a lot of the younger residents bought into the area because of the complexion of the neighbourhood."
He insists that adding 24 units to the top of the street would create havoc.
Martini is only one of 126 residents who signed a petition to fight against building the townhouses. He was joined by other speakers at the meeting who gave several reasons for their opposition to the development.
These reasons include parking concerns, traffic congestion, and potential flooding from stormwater if both sides of Blanefield are bottlenecked by development.
They also cited privacy concerns, saying that the three-storey townhouses would be tall enough for people to look into other residents' backyards.
Meanwhile, Mayor Crombie is also opposed to the development, albeit for a different reason - she isn't happy with the design of the townhouses.
"We can do better than this. I hope the developer is listening, because there are a lot of issues," Crombie said. "I think we can find a workable solution, but I don't think this is it."
No decisions have been made yet, as the City is waiting for a mandatory site plan to be submitted for review before any development can proceed.
- Major Facility Closing and Cutting Jobs in Mississauga
- Police Identify Brampton Shooting Victim Found on the 410 in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Woman Seriously Injured After Being Struck by Vehicle in Mississauga
- 15 Things You Never Knew About the Glenerin Inn in Mississauga
- Canada Post Halts Service Delivery Guarantees
- Some Residents Fuming About Brand New Development Proposed for Mississauga
- Mississauga Residents Fuming Over Townhouses Coming to Long Standing Strip Mall Land
- New Townhouses Proposed in Mineola Upset Many Mississauga Residents
- New Development Could Takeover Long-Standing Strip Mall
- Some Residents Concerned about Huge Proposed Development in Mississauga