Mississauga Nursing Home Ordered to Stop Admitting Residents After Failing Health and Safety Inspection
A Mississauga nursing home has come under fire from the province after failing recent health inspections and has been ordered to cease admitting new residents as a result.
Earlier this month, Karen Simpson, director under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, sent a letter to the CEO of the Mississauga Halton Local Health Integration Network asking his organization to stop admitting residents to the Tyndall Nursing Home.
The home, located on Eglinton Ave. E., has failed a number of inspections and received a host of disturbing complaints, including those involving neglect, abuse and alleged resident-on-resident sexual abuse.
According to this document, some residents have have faced alleged abuse. A critical incident report submitted to Simpson in March 2017 detailed the alleged abuse of a resident by a personal support worker. According to the document, the resident alleged that the worker hit them and twisted their finger.
The report indicates that in May 2016, staff observed a resident "exhibiting sexual responsive behaviours to [another] resident—behaviours that reportedly persisted into January 2017 and targeted other patients.
The report says that, in the case of the allegedly offending resident, "the home failed to ensure that residents were protected from abuse by anyone."
Another critical report incident submitted in May of 2017 indicated that one resident pushed another resident, causing the victim to fall. The report states that proper precautions were not taken to prevent such instances of abuse.
The report also indicates that residents did not receive promised or adequate medical care in some instances (one resident who required footcare was found to have poorly maintained toenails).
The report also mentioned issues with residents experiencing numerous slips and falls.
You can read more about the findings here.
The facility is no longer accepting new residents as a result of the findings.
We'll keep you updated on more details as they emerge.
- Is Mississauga Having Record-Breaking Weather?
- Mississauga Could Soon Be Home to Amazon’s Second North American Headquarters
- Did You Know About the Mississauga Asteroid?
- Peel Region PC Candidates Split Over Endorsements in Leadership Race
- What Does $300,000 Get You in Mississauga Compared to Other Cities?
- Mississauga Resident Says $1,000 Worth of Goods Stolen from Van
- Suspected Thieves Posing as Police Officers Target Mississauga Resident
- Well-Established Mississauga Doctor Facing Sexual Abuse Allegations
- “You Are a Cranky…” Mississauga Councillor Calls Resident
- Mississauga Resident Takes Home Huge Win in Brand New Lotto Game