Mississauga Man Charged After Allegedly Defrauding Senior Citizen
A Mississauga man is facing charges in connection with a scheme to allegedly defraud a senior citizen out of a substantial amount of money.
Peterborough police recently reported that a 27-year-old Mississauga resident has been charged with fraud over $5,000 following an alleged local lottery scam.
Police say that on July 19, the victim, a Peterborough woman in her 80s, received a phone call from a man who claimed she had won $4 million and a luxury car through a lottery.
The caller allegedly told the woman that in order to claim her prize and have the funds released to her, she had to deposit $15,000 into his bank account.
The victim deposited the money and on July 20, a relative of the victim noticed suspicious transactions in her account, including two bank transfers totalling $927 along with the $15,000 bank transfer.
The relative was able to cancel the $15,000 bank draft before any funds had been withdrawn and police were contacted.
The suspect was identified as Darren Sinclair and subsequently charged with fraud over $5,000.
The accused appeared court on Dec. 16 and Dec. 18.
Police are reminding people that legitimate lotteries will never ask you to pay a fee or tax to collect your winnings. People are also asked to avoid sending money or providing financial information to individuals they don't know.
- CLOSURE: Well Known Mississauga Buffet Restaurant Closed for Health Violations
- Police Seeking Second Suspect in Murder of 14 Year Old Boy in Mississauga
- BREAKING: Body of Murdered 14-Year-Old Boy Found in Park Area in Mississauga
- 5 Worst Parking Lots in Mississauga
- The Ontario Government is Selling Massive Amounts of Land
- Man Facing Charges After Allegedly Defrauding Senior Citizens
- Two Mississauga Women Charged in Connection With Immigration-Related Fraud
- Two Mississauga Men Charged With Allegedly Defrauding People Out of Over $1 Million
- Mississauga Woman Charged in Connection with “Fraud Caper Investigation”
- Mississauga Man Charged in Connection with Two Toronto Bank Robberies