Mississauga Man Arrested for Stealing from Religious Donation Boxes
Peel Regional Police have arrested a man for numerous thefts from donation boxes at various Mosques throughout Mississauga.
Ashraf Awad, 58, from Mississauga has been arrested and charged with five counts of theft under $5,000, one found of theft over $5,000, two counts of break and enter and theft and a final charge of break and enter instruments.
Between June 4 and June 17, 2017, Awad attended six separate religious faith centres in Mississauga, entered the religious buildings, and either stole the locked donation box containing money or broke into the box and removed the money from inside.
Awad would normally attend the centres while open to the public but on two separate incidents, the culprit broke into the religious faith centres to commit these thefts after hours.
In total, Awad stole approximately $12,000.00.
He was held for a bail hearing on Sunday June 18, 2017 at the Ontario Court of Justice in Brampton.
Investigators are also encouraging any organizations to contact police if they have experienced a similar type of incident.
Anyone with information on this investigationis asked to call investigators at 12 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau at (905) 453-2121, ext. 1233. Information may also be left anonymously by calling Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), or by visiting www.peelcrimestoppers.ca, or by sending a text message to CRIMES (274637) with the word "PEEL" and then your tip.
- Mississauga Man Arrested Again for Stealing from Religious Donation Boxes
- Man Arrested in Connection with Multiple Break-Ins in Mississauga
- Man Arrested After Allegedly Breaking into Mosque
- Police Issue Arrest Warrant for Break, Enter and Theft Suspect
- Two Men Arrested in Connection With Mississauga Car Theft
- Popular cafe closing down for good in Mississauga
- Rental prices falling as the year winds to a close in Mississauga
- Today’s data shows Peel Region has returned to having the highest new COVID-19 cases in Ontario
- MAYORS CHAT: Bonnie Crombie chats about Mississauga - December 1, 2020
- Almost all illegal guns coming into Mississauga and Brampton are from the U.S.