Mississauga is Definitely Ready for Snow
We know, we know—you're tired of hearing us talk about snow (even though we did get some this week and it looks like more is coming).
Regardless of your snow fatigue, there's no denying that winter is on route and when snow threatens your commute (and happiness), it's good to know that the city is as prepared as possible to deal with it.
According to the city, Mississauga is prepped and ready for winter with 377 pieces of equipment to clear 5,600 km of roads, 1,400 km of priority sidewalks, 3,700 bus stops and over 1,000 pedestrian crossings.
"We follow a priority route system to ensure public safety. Major roads are cleared first to allow emergency vehicles and public transit to pass. This is followed by residential roads, pedestrian crossings, priority sidewalks and bus stops," said Mickey Frost, Director of Works Operations & Maintenance. "Residents can receive the latest snow information and updates by following @MississaugaSnow, downloading the Mississauga Roads App or visiting our snow plow tracker to track the routes for snow plows and salters."
Yes, you read that right—there is a snow plow tracker you can follow online.
As for how snow clearing works, the city says that roads are salted if snowfall is less than eight centimetres or plowed and salted if snowfall is more than eight centimetres.
Naturally, major roads are cleared first. Once priority roads are dealt with, local residential roads, bus stops, pedestrian crossings and priority sidewalks (such as those around hospitals, schools and major transit routes) are maintained.
Priority sidewalks, bus stops and pedestrian crossings are cleared within 24-36 hours after a snowfall ends.
If you have to park on the street, note that a winter on-street parking restriction is currently in effect in the city and will be until March 31, 2017. During periods of snow removal, temporary parking permits will be not issued and active ones will be suspended.
For more info, click here.
Stay safe and enjoy the winter weather, everyone!
- Have your streets been snow plowed in Mississauga?
- How much does it have to snow for roads to be cleared in Mississauga?
- Here’s how much it has to snow for roads to be cleared in Mississauga
- Here’s How Mississauga Intends to Tackle the Snow This Weekend
- Brampton website provides real time guide for snow removal
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- Top 5 biryani in Mississauga
- Here’s what you need to know about quarantine hotels in Mississauga
- Employee at Loblaws in Mississauga has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Brampton and Mississauga Lowe's locations hosting hiring day to fill 240 positions