Mississauga Family Seeking Help After Grandmother Suffers a Stroke While on Vacation
A Mississauga family is seeking financial help after their grandmother suffered from a stroke while on vacation.
Elena Morales Reyes suffered a massive ischemic stroke in Jacksonville, FL, on Aug. 11, 2019.
"She was showing stroke like symptoms and 911 was dispatched," reads a GoFundMe page set up by Reyes' daughter, Bernadette Reyes. "By the time paramedics arrived and took her to emergency at the hospital the doctors said that she was outside the 3-4-hour window to administer T.P.A. aka clot buster. The doctors had to intervene by going in surgically via angiogram and thrombectomy from her femoral artery to the brain to clear blocked vessels."
This type of stroke, according to the official Mayo Clinic website, occurs when arteries to the brain become blocked or narrowed. This causes severely reduced blood flow, otherwise known as ischemia.
According to the GoFundMe page, Reyes' stroke, which occurred on the right side of the brain, has impacted her ability to speak, eat, swallow, as well as her mobility.
She is currently in the neuro intensive care unit at the Mayo Clinic - a renowned stroke centre.
Reyes is currently stable, and has been cleared to travel home. However, her condition warrants an air ambulance from the U.S. to Canada.
The family has been presented with the following quotes.
Air Trek: $17,263 - $18,707 USD
REVA Air Ambulance: $19,900 USD
Acc Medlink: $19,900 USD
AirMed Int'l: $22,908 USD
The family was also quoted $7,970 from Liberty Ambulance but was advised that they are not able to cross state lines.
"We are waiting for a response to see if they will travel as far as Buffalo, NY and coordinate with another ground ambulance from Oakville to receiving hospital Oakville Trafalgar to cut costs," notes the GoFundMe page.
In addition, Reyes' hospital bills during her stay in the ICU are currently at $78,644.80 and increasing each day.
Click here to visit the GoFundMe page.
- GoFundMe page created for man who died trying to save cousins
- More Canadian Women Die of Stroke: Report
- GoFundMe Page Set Up for Victim of Fatal Mississauga Shooting
- GoFundMe page set up for children of a woman who was murdered in Mississauga
- Family's Request to Keep Brain Dead GTA Woman on Life Support Denied
- Mississauga, Brampton students likely to finish school year via remote learning
- BRAMPTON'S MOST WANTED: Peel Police hunt four men on the run
- Cyclist taken to hospital after being hit by car in Brampton
- Ontario doctors urging Province extend lockdown set to expire in late May
- Three dozen Mississauga residents ticketed at outdoor gatherings