By far the highest COVID-19 positivity in Ontario is in Mississauga and Brampton
Peel Region (Brampton, Mississauga, and Caledon) continues to have the highest COVID-19 percent positivity rate (percentage of positive COVID-19 tests in the area) out of all of Ontario’s public health units.
Toronto-based research group ICES ranked all 34 public health units in Ontario based on their percent positivity for the week of March 28 to April 3.
Peel currently tops the list at 11.96% — the only region higher than 10% positivity.
It’s followed by Toronto at 8.40% and York at 8.33%. Ontario overall is listed sixth, at 6.09%.
The top 15 public health units are listed above
Peel’s percentage rose sharply from the previous week, where it reported 8.92%.
This is the third week in a row where Peel had the highest percent positivity in the province.
ICES says percent positivity reflects both the number of COVID-19 cases diagnosed and the number of people who were tested, and the numbers may fluctuate based on these factors.
The same data for the week shows that of the 50 areas in Ontario with the highest COVID-19 percent positivity, three are in Mississauga and 10 are in Brampton — an increase from last week for both cities.
ICES says there has been a steady rise in incidence of COVID-19 cases among all groups of school-aged children in Peel, Toronto, York, and Ottawa.
Peel and a few other regions have also been seeing steady and steep increases among young adults aged 18-22 years (a group including undergraduate university/college students as well as many individuals in the public-facing workforce), ICES added.
The full data is available to read here.
Data courtesy of ICES
- Mississauga and Brampton have worst COVID-19 positivity in Ontario; cases rising among school children and young adults
- Mississauga and Brampton have Ontario's highest COVID-19 percent positivity
- Mississauga and Brampton have the second highest COVID-19 percent positivity in Ontario
- The worst COVID-19 percent positivity rate in Ontario are in Mississauga and Brampton
- Mississauga and Brampton still has the highest COVID-19 percent positivity in the province
- Canada Revenue Agency scam backfires, three from Brampton now face charges
- Father from Mississauga celebrating a big lotto win living out his ‘Price is Right’ dream
- Police bring down organized crime group breaking into Mississauga homes
- No criminal circumstances in death of Brampton child, say police
- Popular Korean-style hotdogs joint coming to Mississauga