For the seventh straight week Mississauga and Brampton has Ontario's worst COVID-19 positivity
For the seventh week in a row, Peel Region (Brampton, Mississauga, and Caledon) has the highest COVID-19 percent positivity rate out of all of Ontario’s public health units.
Toronto-based research group ICES ranked all 34 public health units in Ontario for the week of April 25 to May 1 based on their percent positivity (percentage of positive tests in the area).
Peel currently tops the list at 16.63%, far surpassing Toronto at 12.29% and Durham at 10.40%.
Ontario overall is listed seventh at 8.55%.
The top 15 public health units are listed above
Peel’s percentage is down from last week where it reported 18.73%.
Despite lower COVID-19 testing rates among school-aged children (i.e. elementary to secondary) likely because children aren’t in school, ICES says some regions are seeing very high percent positivity and incidence of COVID-19, including Peel at 32.5%-34.3% and Hamilton at 15.2%-24.8%.
Testing rates have remained relatively stable among young adults aged 18-22 years.
As of May 3, overall vaccine coverage among adults in Ontario was 40% (compared to 34% the previous week), with the highest coverage in those aged 75 years and up.
The full data is available to read here.
Data courtesy of ICES, photo courtesy of The Canadian Press
- Mississauga and Brampton have a 14.5% COVID-19 positivity, worst in Ontario
- Mississauga and Brampton have worst COVID-19 positivity in Ontario; cases rising among school children and young adults
- Mississauga and Brampton have Ontario's highest COVID-19 percent positivity
- The worst COVID-19 percent positivity rate in Ontario are in Mississauga and Brampton
- Hamilton has Ontario's third worst COVID-19 positivity, surpassing Toronto
- House of the week: $4.5 mil Mississauga Road home with gorgeous outdoor features
- VIDEO: Fire destroys Mississauga Road mansion
- Thirteen tickets won a massive lottery prize in Ontario but no jackpot
- VIDEO: Geese causing major traffic jam at intersection in Brampton by Costco
- Ontario ticket holder wins Saturday’s $9.4 million Lotto 649 jackpot