Meadowvale Village of Yesterday
The story of Meadowvale Village begins in 1819 when twenty-nine families emigrated from New York State and settled in this area. Due to the quiet pastoral beauty which greeted these early settlers, the area was appropriately dubbed "Meadowvale".
Early milling enterprises were established by James Crawford and John Simpson. Simpson quickly became an affluent member of the community and is considered by many as the founding father of the village. In 1836, Meadowvale had reached a sufficient size to be considered a village. Milling continued as the lifeblood of the community for many years, and the burgeoning village's prosperity was directly linked to the success of the mills.
Francis Silverthorn moved to Meadowvale in 1844, and, with his expansions to Crawford's mill complex, the community also acquired a grist mill. By the 1850s, there were two hotels, a wagon shop, foundry and a school to support the growing population.
Due to the well-preserved historic character of the area, Meadowvale Village earned the distinction of becoming Ontario's first Heritage Conservation District in 1980.
Derry Road and Pond Street, looking north, c1900
Derry Road, looking west, c1900
Derry Road, looking west, first sidewalk, c1910
Gooderham House, c1910
Meadowvale CPR Train Station, c1915
Meadowvale Mill, c1910
Meadowvale Mill, c1925
Millworkers’ Houses, Pond Street, Meadowvale, c1900
Pond Street, looking north, c1900
Commercial Hotel, Meadowvale, c1900
All images are courtesy of Heritage Mississauga.
- Justin Trudeau Pledges to Ban Assault Weapons Following Mass Shooting in Mississauga
- Brawl Breaks Out Involving Knives at an Intersection in Mississauga
- BREAKING: Fried Chicken Festival Changing Location in Mississauga
- Police Responding to a Robbery Involving a Gun in Mississauga
- Large Police Presence Following Reports Of Weapon Seen In Mississauga