Man Charged in Fatal Mississauga Collision
A Caledon man is facing charges in connection with a collision that lead to the death of a 64-year-old tourist.
Peel police report that on Sunday, July 9 at approximately 1:35 a.m., a Jeep Cherokee and a Toyota Sienna were involved in a collision near the Torbram Road and Reena Road intersection in Mississauga.
Police say the driver of the Jeep Cherokee failed to stop and continued driving northbound on Torbram Road. He later lost control of the vehicle and struck a street light. At that point, the driver tried to flee on foot but was apprehended by officers and arrested.
A passenger in the Toyota Sienna, 64-year-old Indian tourist Harshadrai Patel, was pronounced dead at a local hospital.
The driver and another passenger in the Toyota suffered minor injuries.
The driver and lone occupant of the Jeep Cherokee, 26-year-old Justin Edwin, was arrested and charged with impaired operation causing death, excess blood alcohol, criminal negligence in the operation of a motor vehicle causing death, failing to remain two counts of of possession of a controlled substance.
Edwin was held for a bail hearing and appeared in court on Sunday, July 9.
Investigators are appealing for witnesses who may have witnessed the collision, have dashboard video footage of the incident or who may have information regarding the actions of the drivers prior to the collision.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact investigators with the Major Collision Bureau at (905) 453-2121, ext. 3710.
- Huge Snowfall Set to Hit Mississauga This Weekend
- Ontario Government Cancels Free Tuition for Low-Income Students
- Man and Woman Wanted After Five People Struck by Vehicle Outside Bar in Mississauga
- This Mississauga Resident is Kicking Off the Weekend With a Huge Lotto Win
- A Total Lunar Eclipse is Happening in Mississauga Soon
- Teen Charged After Mother and Toddler Killed in Collision in Mississauga
- Police Identify 19-Year-Old Woman Killed in Alleged Street Racing Crash in Mississauga
- Milton Man Charged With Impaired Driving in Fatal Mississauga Crash
- Man Charged in Fatal Hit and Run in Mississauga
- Mississauga Woman Charged Following Fatal Car Crash Involving School Bus