Major Police Blitz Hits Mississauga This Long Weekend
With the Victoria Day long weekend comes an impaired driving blitz that all residents might want to be aware of.
Peel Regional Police are reminding drivers that Reducing Impaired Driving Everywhere (R.I.D.E.) spot checks will be taking place on both roads and waters in Peel Region this weekend, from Friday May 18-Monday May 22.
A recent release from Peel police states that the R.I.D.E. checks focus on "detecting and removing those individuals from our roads and waterways who choose to drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs."
It's true that police conduct these checks throughout the year and there's a strict zero-tolerance policy when it comes to impaired driving offences, reads the release.
Boating season actually kicked off this week, too.
"On Peel’s waterways, members of the Marine Unit, Peel Crime Stoppers and M.A.D.D. Canada, helped kick-off the boating season Thursday May 17, 2018, with an awareness campaign in Toronto."
For boasters, impaired operation of a vessel has the same penalties as impaired operation of a motor vehicle, resulting in a 90-day suspension of the boaster's driver's licence. If a boater is convicted, that includes a driving prohibition of one year.
"Motorists are reminded that there is zero tolerance for drinking and driving in the Region of Peel. If you believe another motorist is impaired, you are urged to call 9-1-1 from your cell phone to report it to police."
Stay safe, everyone.
- This Massive Entertainment Facility is a Hidden Gem
- 5 Hidden Gem Shows at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga
- Major phone scam affecting Mississauga; residents warned not to call back
- VIDEO: Ron MacLean's speech on the controversy and end of Coach's Corner
- Mississauga woman celebrating huge $1 million lotto win
- Alarming Amount of Impaired Driving Charges Laid this Holiday Season in Mississauga
- Multiple People Arrested During First Weekend of Impaired Driving Blitz
- Peel Police Officer Charged With Impaired Driving
- Several Drivers Arrested During First Half of Impaired Driving Blitz
- Major Police Blitz Coming to Mississauga Very Soon