Lincoln high school that’s staying put celebrating its going-away party
Published May 4, 2022 at 2:09 pm
Lincoln’s Beamsville District Secondary School is in a unique position, as is nearby Grimsby Secondary School.
For both schools, this June will mark both schools’ final graduation class as next year, all remaining and new students will officially be going to West Niagara Secondary School.
The only problem? West Niagara Secondary School, while under construction, isn’t built yet and it certainly won’t be ready for September.
So even though classes will remain at the Beamsville and Grimsby institutions, everyone under the roofs will be West Niagara Secondary School students, teachers and support staff.
There have been so many delays to the construction of the new high school that Lincoln Town Council was poised to purchase Beamsville District Secondary School outright for town use eight months ago. Obviously, that idea remains on hold.
Knowing that the name outside the school will mean nothing after June, the Beamsville District Secondary School Celebration Committee has decided to throw a going-away party for the school that technically and physically isn’t going anywhere.
“As you are probably aware, this is the last year for Beamsville District Secondary School as we know it, before we move on to West Niagara Secondary School,” said the committee.
“Although we are excited about our new building and all that it will have to offer our students, we thought it would be a shame for the school to close without a proper celebration of the history and accomplishments that have been achieved at BDSS.”
On Saturday, May 21 the committee has two separate ticketed events planned.
The first is called “Treasure The Memories” Open House Celebration 11 am to 4 pm and it will include:
- Free Event
- Tour the school, check out classrooms, shops, former rifle range, etc.
- Memorabilia dating back to the late 1800’s will be on display in the 3rd wing gym
- Alumni Band will play from 1pm-3pm in the small gym
- Yearbooks from various previous years for sale
- Raffle and silent auction for items donated by members of the community with proceeds going to the West Niagara Secondary School Theatre build
- Light refreshments and snacks will be available
The second is a much more adult-themed “Buccaneers Bash” Celebration running at the Fleming Centre Arena (5020 Serena Dr) from 6 pm to 10 pm and is hightlighted by:
- $25 per person – click the link below to purchase your ticket. These tickets are selling fast so order now to ensure you can participate in this nostalgic event. After May 20th, tickets may be available at the front door if we are not sold out.
- Light refreshments, beer and wine will be available for purchase
- Food will be available at a moderate price
- Live Music featuring local pop music artist Riley Michaels, country/folk music artist and BDSS alumni Mike Lynch and the rock music band Mean Bones featuring BDSS alumni Piero Izzo.
- 50/50 Draw
- Mix, mingle and reconnect
- Photo Booth
- This event will serve as a fundraiser for the West Niagara Secondary School Theatre build.
However, the committee added, “There are volunteer opportunities for our students and for members of our community as well. We need volunteers to help with the tours, raffles, serving food and serving drinks. We are also looking for volunteers with Smart Serve certification for the evening event to serve drinks.”
All the important links to the day cane be found HERE.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising