Investigation into January's fatal police-involved shooting in Mississauga still ongoing
The province’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing its investigation into a police-involved shooting that killed a resident half a year ago.
28 year old Jamal Francique died on the evening of Tuesday, January 7, 2020 when Peel Regional Police (PRP) officers attended the area of Southampton Drive and Aquinas Avenue to make an arrest.
According to the SIU, police located Francique in a vehicle at which an officer fired multiple shots.
Francique later succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead.
“While the fieldwork has been substantially completed, the investigation remains open pending receipt of additional information,” said the SIU.
As of Friday, July 24, investigators have interviewed the officer who fired the shots and eight witness officers from the PRP, as well as one civilian witness.
A canvass of the area was completed and several items collected from the scene have been sent to the Centre of Forensic Sciences for analysis. The SIU says it has received these reports.
No video footage of the incident was available, according to the SIU.
The SIU is also waiting for a report regarding the post-mortem examination conducted on January 11, 2020, as well as the results of toxicological analysis.
“The SIU is working to ensure the investigation is concluded, and its findings released, as expeditiously as possible.”
There’s no word on when the investigation is expected to be complete.
A vigil for Francique was held at Celebration Square on June 13.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury, or allegations of sexual assault.
Photo courtesy of Justice for Jamal Francique petition on Change.org
- SIU declines to press criminal charges against Peel Regional Police officer involved in high-profile shooting death of Black man in Mississauga
- Investigation into police-involved shooting of woman in Mississauga almost complete: SIU
- Peel police officer refusing to be interviewed by SIU following shooting death of Mississauga man in crisis
- Father struggles, seeks answers, one year after son’s death in police shooting in Mississauga
- UPDATE: SIU investigating one subject officer and nine witness officers in fatal Mississauga shooting
- House of the week: Spectacular $4.3 mil Lorne Park home with wine cellar
- PHOTOS: Over 100 townhouses planned for brand new neighbourhood in Mississauga
- Fido and Rogers report Canada-wide service disruptions
- Here's where the new Automated Speed Enforcement cameras are in Mississauga
- Still no answer from feds as 14 flights land at Mississauga's Pearson Airport with COVID-19