Here’s what’s opening in Mississauga as the city moves into stage 2
Now that Mississauga has been given the green light to enter Stage 2 of the province's three-phase reopening plan on June 24, more amenities will be opening to the public.
"Moving into Stage 2 is an important milestone and symbolizes the efforts and sacrifices made by residents and businesses to stop this virus in its tracks and get Mississauga on the road to recovery. This is great news, especially for our small businesses, including cafes, restaurants and bars who can now open up their patios and welcome customers once again," said Mayor Bonnie Crombie in a statement.
"It's also exciting for our residents as it means they can once again enjoy many of our city amenities that make summers memorable such as our spray pads and outdoor pools, beach volleyball and basketball courts. While we're all excited to see more of our city opening up, I want to remind residents that this is not a return to life as we once knew it. We must continue to follow the advice of public health and take personal ownership and responsibility for stopping the spread."
Additional businesses (such as salons, indoor malls and restaurants with patios) and community, recreational and outdoor spaces are permitted to reopen in Stage 2 with proper health and safety measures in place.
Here's a look at what can reopen and what must remain closed for now:
City facility reopenings:
Starting Saturday, July 4, all of the city's seven outdoor pools will open for lane and fun swims for pre-registration only.
Park and Recreation Amenities
In addition to several park amenities that were reopened as part of Stage 1, bocce courts, beach volleyball courts and joint city and school board track facilities opened last weekend.
Additional park and recreation amenities will open on the following dates:
Friday, June 26
- Basketball courts
- Casual use of sports fields
- All remaining park parking lots
Saturday, July 4
- Artificial turf fields
- Select ball diamond permits
- Cricket field permits
- Picnic areas
- Photography permits available
- Celebration Square wading pool
- Spray pads (with the exception of Huron Park, which is currently under construction)
Monday, July 13
Soccer field permits
Closures that remain in effect:
City arenas are not open for full public use. The city says it is currently working on a summer ice plan with hockey and skating clubs.
Community centres will only be opening for summer camp participants and staff with exclusive use on weekdays. At this time, community centres are not open for full public use.
All of the city's culture facilities are currently closed. The city says it is reviewing when they can open based on staffing and demand.
Returns are accepted at all locations except Mississauga Valley Library. Starting June 23, curbside pickup will be available at the Burnhamthorpe, Central, Lorne Park, Malton and Meadowvale libraries. Additional locations will be phased in when it is considered safe to do so.
Playgrounds and outdoor fitness equipment
Playgrounds and outdoor fitness equipment remain closed under the provincial order.
With guidance from Region of Peel Public Health, the city says it will gradually reopen facilities and resume services in a new or modified way.
"We are working to reopen more of our facilities and amenities safely in accordance with the guidelines and regulations put out by the province and Peel Public Health,” said Paul Mitcham, City Manager and Chief Administrative Officer, in a statement.
"Our top priority continues to be the health and safety of our residents, customers and staff. As city programs and services slowly begin to reopen, we are asking the community to be patient as we thoughtfully work through provincial regulations."
- Mississauga to reopen more outdoor amenities and allow fireworks
- Mississauga to begin reopening outdoor amenities
- Here’s when community centres will reopen to the public in Mississauga
- Here’s what will open when Mississauga officially enters Stage 3
- More city services set to reopen this fall in Mississauga
- Heavy police presence responding to report of firearms in Mississauga
- Dead man found in vehicle in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Warbird planes fly through Mississauga and Brampton skies
- PHOTOS & VIDEO: There's a Mississauga park in Japan with a replica city hall
- Residents of Mississauga, Brampton, and Canada considering relocation to more rural areas