Here’s What’s Open and Closed at Sheridan College During the Strike
After weeks of talks, faculty at all of Ontario's college are officially on strike. This means that more than 12,000 Ontario public college faculty are on the picket line after talks between the OPSEU and the College Employer Council failed to produce a tentative collective agreement.
Although most full and part-time classes have been cancelled, some facilities at Sheridan College (which operates campuses in Mississauga, Brampton and Oakville) are going to remain open during the strike.
Sheridan College recently took to its website to remind students that campuses will remain open with security on site. However, the following classes and services will be suspended during the strike:
- Regularly scheduled classes for full and part time students
- Classes offered at Sheridan for joint programs with the University of Toronto at Mississauga (UTM), York and Brock Universities
- Workforce development programs (LINC, ELT, OSLT)
- School College Work Initiative programs (Early Childhood Education, Operating Systems, Introduction to Industrial Trades, Introduction to Construction Trades, Electrical, Plumbing, Precision Machining/Welding STDWD, Halton Electric, School Within a College -SWAC)
- Academic upgrading courses
- Field placements
- Internships that are supervised by faculty members in the academic union
- Athletic Therapy Clinic
- All Co-Curricular Record (CCR) Activities supervised by Faculty
Here's what will remain open:
- Continuing and Professional Education classes
- Ontario Learn Online Learning modules
- Co-op placements
- Internships that are supervised by non-academic union employees
- The Centre for Student Success [DAV: rm B230, HMC: rm A247, TRA: rm B104]
- Access to library spaces (library, learning commons, room bookings for self-study)
- Access to labs/studio spaces for self-directed learning (on a case by case basis, should supervision be possible by trained technicians and/or student monitors)
- All administrative offices
- International Centre
- Tutoring Services
- Academic Integrity Office
- Student health centre
- Residence programming
- All Sheridan Student Union services and events
- Athletic and recreation facilities
- Food services, bookstore and Xerox centres
- Sheridan's Childcare Centres on the Mississauga and Oakville campuses
- Public Transit and ParaTransit (however, bus stop locations may change)
- Sheridan Shuttle (regular location)
Sheridan says Fall Convocation on October 17 and 18 will proceed at the Living Arts Centre.
The Office of the Registrar - all services including Admissions, Records and Registration, and Financial Aid. There will be limited service at the Assessment Centre (see below for more details).
For more information, click here.
- Former Mississauga Mayoral Candidate Charged with Hate-Motivated Crime
- Massive New Food Delivery Service Has Arrived in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Mississauga Candidate Gets into Heated Argument with Voters over Signs
- Top 5 Thai Restaurants in Mississauga
- A Look at Some of the Best Buildings in Mississauga