Here’s What You Need to Know About the Canada Post Strike in Mississauga


If you're worried about disruptions to your mail service in Mississauga, you're not alone.

Recently, members of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) announced that they would head to the picket lines at 12:01 am on Tuesday, October 23, to begin the second day of postal disruptions across the country.

CUPW says job action will take place in the Greater Toronto Area, (excluding Scarborough) and most of the 905-region.

As of today (Oct. 31), strike action is taking place in Ottawa and parts of Quebec.

This marks CUPWs second week of rotating strikes.

In light of the disruptions, the City of Mississauga says it will continue doing business during the Canada Post mail service disruption.

The city is also reminding residents that they must still pay any fees or fines they've incurred—on time and in full—while the disruptions are ongoing.

As far as receiving news from the city, staff say that legislated public notices will be provided either through newspaper advertisement or by personal service and fax (to be determined by the size of the distribution).

Public notices are also available online.

So, what if you're a vendor waiting on payment from the city?

The city has the following instructions:

For ease and security, incoming invoices can be emailed to ap [dot] central [at] mississauga [dot] ca.

  • Vendors or contractors who have not yet signed up for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) payments are encouraged to do so. It is free and easy through the City's secure website at
  • Vendors or contractors who have been advised by Accounts Payable that their cheque is available, can pick up their cheque at the Welcome Desk, 300 City Centre Dr. The Welcome Desk is on the Main floor and is open Monday to Friday, 8:30 4:30 p.m.
  • Any questions regarding the status of payments, or other Accounts Payable enquiries can be directed through 3-1-1 (905-615-4311outside city limits).

How to Pay Property Taxes

Payment for any outstanding instalments can be made through banks, telephone and internet banking and at the cashier desk (300 City Centre Dr).

The city says the cashier desk is open Monday to Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.

A drop box is available for after hour payments on the north side of the building.

According to the city, late payment charges will not be waived for any bill that has been issued during the disruption.

What Do You Do if You Have a Parking Ticket?

The city says residents are still responsible for paying penalty and parking infraction notices on pre-set dates.

Payments can be made:

  • Online: for penalty notices use and for parking infraction notices use (a service fee of $1.50 will apply in each case).
  • In Person: visit the Ontario Court of Justice, 950 Burnhamthorpe Rd. W. from Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or Civic Centre, Cashier Desk, 300 City Centre Dr., Monday to Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
  • By Phone: for penalty/parking infraction notices call 1-877-678-8465 using Visa, Mastercard or American Express. In the GTA, call 905-755-1295 (a service fee of $1.50 will apply in each case).

According to the city, late fees may be waived for penalty notices or parking infractions during the disruption. Notices will not be mailed out from the first day of the disruption until it ends.

Online payments for penalty notices such as pet/animal licence, mobile/vehicle licence, business licence infractions can be made here.

What If You Have a Highway Traffic Act Ticket?

If you receive a speeding or other Highway Traffic Act-related ticket, you can pay it a number of ways, including online at or by phone at 905-615-4500. You can also pay in person at any Provincial Offences Office.

Additional Things to Consider:

If documents or forms have already been mailed to the court by regular mail, the court may not be able to complete the request until the disruption ends. Call the City of Mississauga at 905-615-4500 during office hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Monday to Friday) to find out the status of the case/transaction.

If trial date is being requested, please attend the court office named on the Offence Notice:

1. In Person: deliver time-sensitive materials to the court in person.

2. Courier: using courier or a professional process server.

3. Email: emailing Early Resolution meeting requests by scanning both sides of the green form. Send a copy with the appropriate option selected to court [dot] admin [at] mississauga [dot] ca.

Goods from the City


Residents should note that shipment of goods purchased online through the City's website will be suspended.

For more information regarding the Canada Post mail service disruption or other mail-related matters, call 3-1-1 (905-615-4311 outside city limits).

Your Comments