Here's Important Waste Collection Information for Mississauga Residents
Ever worry about how much good clothing is thrown out every year in Mississauga?
You’re not alone.
Worry not — a new pilot program aims to reuse and repurpose discarded clothing and textiles that would otherwise end up in a landfill.
Peel Region is partnering with Kidney Clothes, part of the Kidney Foundation of Canada, to create a “convenient home pickup program”.
During the pickup, all cloth and cloth-based items will be accepted, including clothing, linens, curtains, accessories (purses, belts, and wallets) as well as outerwear, such as shoes and coats.
So why is something like this necessary?
According to Kidney Clothes, the average North American throws away over 80 pounds of clothing a year which sits in landfills for decades, even though 90% of it can be reused or repurposed.
Additionally, discarded cloth/clothing makes up the most common materials found in Peel Region’s waste stream.
All collected clothing and textiles will be repurposed into funds that The Kidney Foundation of Canada will use to provide support for the 1 in 10 Canadians living with kidney disease — and will also help the Region reach its goal of diverting waste from landfills.
Areas selected to be a part of this pilot program will receive an informational door hanger letting them know about the pickup on June 6 or June 7.
To learn more about the program, visit kidneyclothes.ca.
- Donate Used Clothing and Electronics This Week in Mississauga
- Donating Clothes in Mississauga is About to Become a Lot Safer
- Very Important Waste Collection News for Mississauga
- Important Waste Collection News for Mississauga and Brampton Residents
- Clothing donations in Mississauga suspended amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Province says two-way, all-day service in the works for GO Train line that runs through Mississauga
- Take a Left for Some of the Best Restaurants and Cafés in Mississauga
- The Lost Village of Summerville
- Police investigating after body found in storage facility in Mississauga
- A look at one of Mississauga’s best known--and most quaint--neighbourhoods