Here’s How Many Changes Police Laid During a Road Safety Blitz
Police say they laid well over 400 charges in a two-day road safety blitz.
Peel police recently announced that they partnered with York Regional Police and the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) for a two-day traffic blitz.
Police say the blitz was meant to reduce personal injury on HWY 50 by increasing enforcement and awareness.
Hwy 50 is a roadway in the Region of Peel that borders Bolton to the north and York Region to the east. This roadway is heavily used by commuter and commercial motor vehicle traffic.
Police say a total of 253 reported motor vehicle collisions took place on this roadway in 2017. There have been 158 reported collisions in 2018.
Some crashes on this stretch have been fatal.
On August 4, 2018, a woman and two young children were victims of a two-car fatal collision on Countryside Drive.
In order to reduce and prevent collisions, police say they worked to increase enforcement of the offences most likely to lead to crashes.
Police say their main focus was on speeding, stunt driving, distracted driving, controlled intersection compliance, seat belt use and Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) compliance.
The blitz resulted in 471 charges being laid.
When Acting Sergeant Zehr was asked why this campaign was so important he replied, "Small mistakes have dire consequences, this enforcement is one step at reminding people not to take driving for granted."
While the blitz may be over, enforcement is ongoing.
Police are asking anyone who observes dangerous or aggressive driving to call police or report it online through the Road Watch online reporting program.
- Justin Trudeau Pledges to Ban Assault Weapons Following Mass Shooting in Mississauga
- BREAKING: Fried Chicken Festival Changing Location in Mississauga
- Brawl Breaks Out Involving Knives at an Intersection in Mississauga
- Newly Opened Chinese Restaurant Giving Away Free Food Today in Mississauga
- Police Responding to a Robbery Involving a Gun in Mississauga
- Police Lay Close to 200 Traffic Charges Over Two Days in Peel
- Massive Amount of People Charged in Distracted Driving Blitz in Mississauga
- A Massive Police Blitz is Set to Hit Mississauga
- Major Police Blitz Hits Mississauga This Week
- Nearly 2,000 Transport Truck Drivers Charged in OPP Traffic Safety Blitz