Helmet Exemption Coming for Sikh Motorcyclists in Mississauga
It looks like not everyone will be required to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle soon.
While it’s true that helmets keep riders safe, a big issue across the province has been for Sikh riders who wear turbans while riding motorcycles, as a helmet doesn’t exactly fit over a turban.
Now, the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) has confirmed that Ontario will be the fourth province in Canada to have an exemption for Sikh motorcyclists.
“Premier Doug Ford committed to the Sikh community that the Ontario government would grant an exemption in recognition of Sikh motorcycle riders' civil rights and religious expression,” the MTO confirmed with insauga.com.
“The Ministry of Transportation is currently reviewing Ontario's Mandatory Helmet Law.”
You might be wondering when the helmet exemption will come into effect.
The answer is much sooner than you might think. In fact, Premier Ford’s government aims to enforce the new laws by December 2018.
“This winter, Ontario laws will be brought in line with those of Alberta, B.C. and Manitoba, where helmet exemptions for Sikh motorcycle riders are already in place,” a representative from the MTO confirmed.
This conversation has been ongoing for some years now.
It started in 2008 when Baljinder Badesha fought a $110 ticket with the Ontario Human Rights Commission for refusing to wear his motorcycle helmet. He didn’t win.
Former Brampton MPP and current federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh also tried to introduce a private member bill in 2013 and in 2016 to no avail.
We’ll keep you posted on when Sikh riders will no longer be required to wear helmets in Ontario.
- Man in Life-Threatening Condition After Being Pulled from Pool in Mississauga
- A New Pop-Up Store is Open at Erin Mills Town Centre in Mississauga
- Mississauga Man Facing 45 Hate-Related Charges
- Popular Store Opens First Outlet in Canada at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Peel Police Respond to Bus Fire in Mississauga
- Sikh Motorcyclists in Mississauga No Longer Required to Wear a Helmet
- Fatal Motorcycle Crashes on the Rise in Ontario
- OPP Release Startling Numbers About Motorcycle Deaths
- BREAKING: Doug Ford's Ontario PC Party Wins Election, Forms Majority Government
- Parking Exemption Granted for Diwali in Mississauga