This week’s Hamilton schools COVID-19 cases and closures : Oct. 12 to Oct. 15
Published October 15, 2021 at 9:30 pm
The following is a summary of active COVID-19 cases reported by the two Hamilton-Wentworth school boards, and French-language schools, between Oct. 12 and Oct. 15.
Cases that are not linked to outbreaks were not necessarily transmitted in the schools, but may have been transmitted elsewhere in the community. Ontario schools have yet to receive access to rapid antigen tests that can detect COVID-19 in a person who is asymptomatic, so the number of students and staff who have the virus is potentially higher.
The following schools reported new cases since the end of the Thanksgiving weekend:
Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB)
- Gatestone E.S. — Cases: 1 (student), which is linked to an outbreak
- Helen Detwiler E.S. — Cases: 1 (staff)
- Mount Hope Elementary School — Cases: 1 (staff)
- Nora Henderson S.S. — Cases: 1 (student)
- Orchard Park S.S. — Cases: 1 (student)
- Shannen Koostachin Elementary School — Cases: 2 (students)
The outbreak-linked case at Gatestone Elementary School was confirmed on Friday (Oct. 15). The HWDSB COVID-19 advisory page does not list when classrooms and high school cohorts are closed due to a new case. When that happens, children are sent home to learn remotely during a quarantine period of at least 10 days.
Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board (HWCDSB)
The H-W Catholic board has 20 active cases, but only six have been reported since Tuesday (Oct. 12). Some classrooms and cohorts remain closed due to confirmed cases prior to that date.
- Bishop Tonnos C.S.S. — Cases: 1 (student), closed classrooms: 2
- Bishop Ryan C.S.S. — Cases: 1 (student), closed classrooms: 2
- Cathedral H.S. — Cases: 2 (both students, found Oct. 8), closed classrooms: 4
- St. Francis Xavier — Cases: 2 (both students, found Oct. 8), closed classrooms: 1
- St. Jean de Brébeuf C.S.S. — Cases: 1 (student), closed classrooms: 1
- St. John Henry Newman C.S.S. — Cases: 1, closed classrooms: 2
- St. Lawrence C.E.S. — Cases: 1 (staff)
- St. Luke C.E.S. — Cases: 2 (students), closed classrooms: 3
- St. Matthew C.E.S. — Cases 4 (none since Oct. 10), closed classrooms: 4
- St. Thérèse of Lisieux C.E.S. — Cases: 1 (none since at least Oct. 7), closed classrooms: 1
- St. Thomas More C.S.S. — Cases: 1 (student), closed classrooms: 2
MonAvenir Catholic School Board
- ÉÉC Monseigneur-de-Laval — Cases: 3 (students), closed classrooms: 1
Some cases from earlier in the week may since be considered resolved and not listed.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies