LATEST: Halton Police have the individual who had barricaded themselves in Oakville in custody
Halton police are asking all residents in the area to immediately shelter in their basements until further notice.
This is an active situation, according to police.
According to police, Lakeshore Rd W is closed from 4th Line to Birch Hill Lane for the investigation. Residents are advised to avoid the area.
Appleby College is currently in a hold and secure, according to police. Staff and students are to remain inside their facilities until further notice.
There is a heavy police presence in this area, including frontline officers, the Tactical Rescue Unit and K9.
Police say the initial call was received shortly before 1:20 pm reporting possible gunfire in the area.
There is a heavy police presence in this area, including frontline officers, our Tactical Rescue Unit, and K9. Ongoing shooting investigation in the area. #Oakville https://t.co/t2eEvyIxrA pic.twitter.com/yRWrvZmDSf— Andrew Collins (@ACollinsPhoto) January 15, 2021
UPDATE 2:50 pm: This situation is ongoing and contained to a residence on Lakeshore Rd. W and involves at least two barricaded individuals within that residence, according to police. Crisis negotiators will be working to resolve this safely. Residents in the area are advised to continue to shelter in place.
UPDATE 3:40 pm: Police have confirmed that one individual is now safely out of the residence. Police say they continue to negotiate with the individual who remains inside the residence. Residents who were asked to seek shelter in their basements are advised to continue to do so.
UPDATE 10:42 pm: Police say they individual who barricaded themselves in the residence is now in police custody.
“After more than nine hours, we have brought this incident to a safe conclusion,” police reported.
“We know it has been a long and stressful day for area neighbours, and we can’t thank you enough for your support and patience.”
- Male in police custody after shooting, nine-hour crisis negotiation in Oakville
- UPDATED: Investigation Prompts High Police Presence in Residential Area
- UPDATE: Suspect taken into custody after hours-long standoff with police in Mississauga
- UPDATED: Multiple Vehicle Crash and Police Investigation in Major Area of Mississauga
- Police say man barricaded inside his home with a weapon in Mississauga
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- Police discover remains of deceased infant in basement of Hamilton home
- Peel District School Board issues apology for racially insensitive content on internal webpage for staff
- Mississauga pressing to enter red-zone on March 9
- Brampton parents charged after child's luggage used to smuggle drugs into Mississauga's Pearson Airport