Guess Which Part of Mississauga is Featured in a Photography Festival?
A new exhibit featuring a piece of Mississauga’s history is part of Toronto’s Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival.
Titled ‘like a conjuring (bringing water back to Bradley),’ artist Erika DeFreitas examines water and its connection to one of Mississauga's first families, the Bradleys.
The historic Bradley Museum - which was moved in 1967 from its original location on the edge of Lake Ontario to its current location on Orr Rd. - is housing the exhibit.
DeFreitas’ work explores the original location with an installation of artifacts, images, and audio reuniting the lake, the Bradley family and the house “by conjuring the memory of the occupants and their relationship with this watery landscape.”
DeFreitas uses period textiles to reference the family's ownership of indigo and tobacco plantations in Savannah, Georgia, introducing issues of colonialism and linking the notion of water as an enabler of colonization.
The exhibit, curated by Museums of Mississauga’s Stuart Keeler, runs from May 3 to August 20 at 1620 Orr Rd.
Admission is free.
An opening reception is being held on Thursday, May 4 at 6 p.m.
In addition, a Jane’s Walk event is taking place with DeFreitas at the same location on Saturday, May 6 at 2 p.m.
Jane’s Walk is a movement of free, citizen-led walking tours inspired by Jane Jacobs.
The walks encourage people to tell stories about their communities, explore their cities, and connect with neighbours.
- Mississauga’s Museums Are Officially Free
- What you need to know about an exhibit exploring Mississauga’s massive train derailment
- An acclaimed art exhibit is now open in Mississauga
- Everything You Need to Know About a Stunning Water Lantern Festival That’s Coming to Mississauga
- Black History Month-Themed Exhibit at AGM Tonight
- Rental prices falling as the year winds to a close in Mississauga
- Popular cafe closing down for good in Mississauga
- Almost all illegal guns coming into Mississauga and Brampton are from the U.S.
- COVID-19 outbreak declared at ICU in Mississauga Hospital
- MAYORS CHAT: Bonnie Crombie chats about Mississauga - December 1, 2020