Free bicycles available for Malton students who need them in Mississauga
If you’re a student who needs a bicycle but cannot afford to purchase one, you should note that a program distributing bikes to students in need will run until the end of August.
The Malton BIA recently announced that it has partnered with Janice Lowe, a local high school teacher, to expand her bicycle donation program. The program provides bikes to Malton students who don’t have them.
“Getting Malton moving was an easy project to get behind,” said Malton BIA Chair Sam Kohli in a statement.
“Our youth need a safe way to be active now more than ever.”
The BIA said it has secured a space to refurbish the donated bicycles with the help of volunteers. MiWay has donated 45 bikes from its lost and found to expand the program. The Safety Village of Peel has also donated helmets, while Oxford Properties (which operates Square One) will work to ensure new bikes will be donated.
The BIA says the project will run until the end of August.
On Aug. 8, Ward 5 Councillor Carolyn Parrish took to Twitter to say that more bikes for smaller children are needed.
Reminder. Malton BIA bike shop for refurbishing donated bikes rolled out over a hundred happy riders on free wheels this week. The shop will be open another 3 weeks. We need more “littles” bikes donated. Please call for pickup. Making kids happy makes our team delighted! pic.twitter.com/1VifCU9qiB— Carolyn Parrish (@carolynhparrish) August 8, 2020
To donate a bicycle, helmet, bike lock, or related equipment, please contact info [at] maltonbia [dot] com or call 905-499-2969 ext. 502.
Editor’s note: This article has been updated to clarify that the program is exclusively for Malton students.
- Free Bicycle Helmets Coming to Kids in Mississauga
- Mississauga students moved to another Malton school as police investigate
- Want to Make it Harder for Someone to Steal Your Bike in Mississauga?
- School Board Is Launching This New Program To Help Students Living In Poverty
- Mississauga Considering Giving Iconic Malton Airplane to Museum
- Mississauga woman speechless after massive lottery win
- Mississauga church youth group leader arrested for sexual assault
- VIDEO: Mississauga Youtuber Kyle Forgeard surprises his parents by letting them retire early
- Tech startups can apply for funding and get in front of industry partners with this opportunity
- Canada Post reports more cases of COVID found at Mississauga's Gateway facility