Forge FC Hamilton re-sign key midfielders, Achinioti-Jönsson and Cissé
Forge FC Hamilton announced Friday (Feb. 5) that Swedish midfielder Alex Achinioti-Jonsson and Senegalese international midfielder Elimane Cisse will return to the team for the 2021 season, marking two more returnees that were part of the club’s back-to-back Canadian Premier League championships in 2019 and 2020.
Achinioti-Jonsson, 24, has made 44 total appearances for Forge FC over two seasons (2019-20), including 36 in CPL play, six in Concacaf League and two Canadian Championship matches, registering three goals and two assists overall.
Prior to joining Forge, the 6-2 native of Hittarp, Sweden suited up in over 100 matches played in the top Swedish Allsvenskan and Superettan leagues with IFK Varnamo (2018), Helsingborgs IF (2012-17) and Hittarps IK (2011-12). He also represented Sweden at the under-19 youth international level.
Cisse, 25, has made 37 total appearances for Forge FC over two seasons (2019-20), including 31 in CPL play, four in Concacaf League and two Canadian Championship matches, registering two goals and two assists overall. He previously spent time with Senegalese club Diambars de Saly Dourbel.
The dynamic 5-9 midfielder also has extensive experience on the international stage having represented his native Senegal twelve times at the senior national team level and nineteen times at the youth level, including as a semi-finalist at the 2015 FIFA U20 World Cup in New Zealand.
- CPL Golden Glove winner Triston Henry returns to Forge FC Hamilton for 2021
- Former Canadian captain Jakovic signs with Forge FC Hamilton
- Forge FC Hamilton thrown a bone; match against Toronto FC will be played at Tim Hortons Field
- Macron unveils new Forge FC Hamilton 'Community' kits for 2021 season
- Inaugural CPL Championship brings Mississauga flair
- No Pfizer until mid July for adults in Mississauga and Brampton
- 2 winning tickets for Saturday’s $6 million Lotto 649 jackpot
- Photo radar begins in Mississauga next month at these locations
- Two Mississauga 16-year-olds arrested for burning Pride flag
- Hamilton mayor called out by doctors over Board of Health comments