Ford faces tough choices on COVID-19 restrictions as Ontario case count hits new high

 

OTTAWA -- Ontario Premier Doug Ford has some tough choices to make as he decides which businesses can reopen while the province reports a single-day record in new coronavirus cases.

Ontario is reporting 1,050 new cases of COVID-19 today and 14 additional deaths related to the novel coronavirus.

Health Minister Christine Elliott says 408 of the new cases are in Toronto, 212 are in Peel Region, 86 in Halton Region, 76 in York Region and 57 in Durham Region.

Health authorities said today the number of people in hospital rose by 27 to 526, and 85 people were in intensive care, a rise of four.

Ontario says it completed nearly 25,300 tests since its last daily report.

The latest figures bring the total number of cases in the province to 78,705, which includes 3,166 deaths and 67,244 cases considered resolved.

The province is planning to lay out a framework -- expected today -- with specific criteria to impose regional restrictions.

Eleven Toronto-area mayors said in a letter Monday they support the plan, but called on the premier to allow businesses closed under "modified Stage 2'' measures to unlock their doors and remain open.

Last month Ontario ordered Stage 2 restrictions -- set to expire this weekend -- in Toronto, Ottawa and Peel Region that closed gyms and banned indoor dining at restaurants and bars, with York Region added to the list of hot spots on Oct. 19.

The Canadian Press

Your Comments