Flooding Could Hit Mississauga
Since rain (including rain of the freezing variety) is in the forecast for the weekend, the City of Mississauga has announced that a flood outlook is in effect for Mississauga.
"Heavy rain is forecasted for the next few days. Please stay away from creeks, rivers and streams since there is a potential for flooding," the city wrote.
Credit Valley Conservation (CVC) also added that 2-5 mm of precipitation has fallen throughout the watershed since Thursday, with an additional 80-100 mm of precipitation expect over the next five days in the form of rain or freezing rain.
"Water levels along the Credit River and its major tributaries have increased due to the rain and will continue to rise," CVC said in an email alert.
"Some minor flooding in low lying areas is anticipated. These areas may include Townline Road in Orangeville, Inglewood, Terra Cotta, Crestview Lake and Caledon Lake in Caledon. "
Residents are reminded to exercise extreme caution around all water bodies. Banks adjacent to rivers and creeks are already very slippery, and when combined with current weather conditions, pose a serious hazard.
People are encouraged to keep their children and pets away from all watercourses and off frozen water bodies, which will be extremely unsafe.
The city is asking residents to do the following:
- Avoid walking or driving in flooded areas
- Stay away from creeks, rivers, streams and stay frozen water bodies
- Clear debris from catch basins near your home or business, as long as it is safe to do so
- Call 3-1-1 to report blocked catch basins or road flooding in your neighbourhood
- Do not open any sewer manholes under any circumstances
If you experience any flooding in your home or have other concerns, call 3-1-1.
- Canada's Wonderland reopening for thrill-seekers on July 7
- A brand new Kelseys roadhouse set to open in Mississauga
- Brampton councillor ordered to pay court costs after losing case against city
- Driver in Mississauga stopped with loaded firearm
- House of the week: $4.5 mil Mississauga Road home with gorgeous outdoor features