Eight employees test positive for COVID-19 at Canada Post facility in Mississauga
Canada Post has confirmed that eight employees at its Dixie Road facility in Mississauga have tested positive for COVID-19.
The organization has been confirming positive cases at the facility over the past two weeks.
Canada Post says that over the last week, it has informed employees at its large Dixie Road facility that about eight employees have tested positive at different times.
Canada Post says each situation was unrelated, as employees were exposed to the virus outside the workplace.
The company says the employees had not been in the building since early April and were non-symptomatic at work.
"When we are informed of an employee testing positive, we work closely with public health officials and the unions and immediately inform employees. We certainly understand this is concerning news to employees and that’s why we have kept them informed of what’s happened and what we are doing to keep them safe," Canada Post said in an email to insauga.com.
Canada Post says it has implemented physical-distancing measures in all aspects of its business and has increased cleaning and sanitation practices. It also says it has increased the availability of safety supplies and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
"In each instance, we work closely with Peel Public Health, follow their guidance, support their processes and inform them of the steps we are taking in our building. We perform precautionary deep-cleaning and sanitization of the workplace and high-frequented areas," Canada Post says.
"Impacted employees are placed on paid leave and any employee identified through contact tracing remains at home on leave awaiting further instruction from Peel Public Health."
Canada Post says public health has said that the risk of exposure to others in the facility is low due to the precautionary measures put in place.
"We will continue to follow the guidance of the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), and work closely with local public health authorities and our unions when it comes to implementing safety measures in all our facilities," the company says.
- Two Mississauga-based Canada Post employees test positive for COVID-19
- Canada Post worker at Mississauga facility tests positive for COVID-19
- Pair of employees at Mississauga McDonalds test positive for COVID-19
- Peel Public Health investigates after local workplace exposed to coronavirus
- Peel public health continues taking safety measures amid COVID-19 concerns
- Mississauga student receives one of Canada's most coveted scholarships
- Man chains himself to tree outside of hard-hit Mississauga long-term care home to demand change
- Ontario secondary schools have room for improvement: report
- These Mississauga retailers are open (or opening) for in-store shopping
- Mississauga to begin reopening outdoor amenities