Discounted Transit Passes Officially Available in Mississauga
Life in Mississauga can be expensive, but transit doesn't necessarily have to be—especially for more budget-conscious residents.
The Region of Peel recently announced the launch of the Miway Affordable Transit Program, a program that will allow some riders to apply for a discounted MiWay monthly bus pass.
The program offers a 50 per cent discount on the regular cost of a monthly MiWay transit pass to eligible applicants. If a rider qualifies for the discount, their spouse and/or dependents will also qualify.
As for how it works, residents who need the discount must ensure they have their own registered Presto website card prior to applying. Riders who do not have a card can purchase and register one from any place they are sold, including the MiWay Fares booth at the City Centre Transit Terminal, any Mississauga Community Centre or the Presto website.
The initial cost of the card will not be refunded or discounted.
Prospective pass holders also need to present their current Notice of Assessment (NOA) for themselves and any other applicants over the age of 18.
Once approved, the discount will be programmed onto the card by MiWay staff. The card will allow riders to buy the pass at half price for 12 months.
When the approval period ends, riders will resume paying full price.
As for who is eligible for a discount, the region says successful applicants must be Canadian citizens, landed immigrants or residents who have applied for permanent residency, sponsorship or refugee protection. Applicants must also live in Mississauga and boast an after-tax income that fits the following criteria:
You can check your eligibility here.
If you're interested in the discount, you can apply online or by phone by calling 905-793-9200. If you call, ask to speak to the Affordable Transit Program (ATP) Coordinator.
For more information, click here.
- Here's How You Can Get a Discounted Bus Pass in Mississauga
- Mississauga Residents May Be Eligible for Discounted Bus Fare on MiWay
- MiWay Extending its Affordable Transportation Pilot Program in Mississauga
- A Discount Program for Some MiWay Users Has Expanded
- MiWay Piloting Programs for Lower-Income Residents in Mississauga
- OPINION: Ontario’s new restrictions are pure theatre and everyone in Mississauga and Brampton should be furious
- Police won't randomly stop people or vehicles in Mississauga and Brampton
- Playgrounds allowed to reopen in Mississauga and Brampton
- House of the week: Spectacular $4.3 mil Lorne Park home with wine cellar
- Still no answer from feds as 14 flights land at Mississauga's Pearson Airport with COVID-19