COVID-19 outbreak declared at long-term care residence in Mississauga
A COVID-19 outbreak has been declared at a long-term care residence in Mississauga.
Both Peel Public Health and Chartwell Retirement Residences have confirmed an outbreak at Chartwell's Cawthra Gardens Long-Term Care Residence, which is located at 590 Lolita Gardens.
Chartwell's website confirmed the outbreak on Aug. 22.
Chartwell said a staff member contracted the virus and that there are no confirmed cases in any residents at this time.
"On August 22nd we notified residents, staff and family members that a staff member of Cawthra Gardens had tested positive for COVID-19. No resident cases. We are following direction from Public Health and can confirm a number of precautions and protocols have been put in place to minimize the risk of transmission," Sharon Ranalli, Vice President of Marketing & Communications at Chartwell said in an email to insauga.com.
Ranalli said that visits are temporarily prohibited at the home and that one resident area has been placed in isolation.
"We continue twice daily respiratory checks of all residents and heightened surveillance using respiratory precautions and infection control practices throughout the Home. Staff continue to follow PPE requirements, screening, temperature checks and limited areas for which they access," she wrote.
On its website, Chartwell says when COVID-19 cases are confirmed, it activates "required enhanced infection control measures" and remains in contact with the appropriate public health authorities.
"We know this is difficult news for loved ones and how hard it is to be separated, even temporarily, at a time like this. Our staff are continuously seeking creative and supportive opportunities to engage our residents from adapting daily tasks to finding alternatives to activities that follow physical-distancing, but still make someone feel cared for, engaged and part of a community during this difficult time," Ranalli wrote.
"We thank our residents and family members for their patience, support and kind words for our staff at such a challenging time."
- Outbreak at Mississauga long-term care home after staff member tests positive for COVID-19
- Number of COVID-19 cases among residents and staff of long-term care facilities continues to rise
- Ontario to test all long-term care residents, staff for COVID-19
- Two long-term care home residents die after COVID-19 outbreak
- OHC concerned with rise in COVID-19 cases among long-term care residents and staff
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- Mass test results are in from Mississauga condo revealing good news about the variants
- Top 5 biryani in Mississauga
- First responders attending to fire in Mississauga
- MAYORS CHAT: Bonnie Crombie chats about Mississauga - February 21, 2021