Conservation areas and trails closing down in Mississauga due to COVID-19 pandemic
A number of trails and conservation areas in Mississauga and other cities are being closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Rattray Marsh, Meadowvale Conservation Area, and the Cheltenham Badlands in Caledon are affected by the closures.
Credit Valley Conservation (CVC) recently announced that is closing all conservation areas and trails effective 4 p.m., March 24, 2020, until further notice.
"CVC has made the difficult decision to close all parks and trails to the public for an indefinite period. We will reopen only when it is appropriate to do so," said Deborah Martin-Downs, Chief Administrative Officer, in a statement.
CVC says full closures apply to Belfountain, Island Lake, Terra Cotta, Rattray Marsh, Meadowvale, Limehouse, Silver Creek, Upper Credit Conservation Area and the Cheltenham Badlands.
The closures also include Ken Whillans Resource Management Area, the Elora Cataract Trailway and all other CVC-owned or operated properties and trails.
"Like all other conservation authorities, we support the need to act in the best interest of our communities, visitors and staff. We had already taken steps to protect the public and staff by closing all buildings within Credit Valley Conservation parks, including visitor centres, rental shops and public washrooms," said Martin-Downs. "We cancelled our popular Sugarbush Maple Syrup Festival and had limited the public to only passive recreational use like walking trails."
Until further notice, no members of the public, including Conservation Parks members, may use or enter CVC conservation area grounds or trails.
CVC says staff will be actively monitoring properties and trails for compliance with the closure notice. Authorized staff will issue tickets for trespassing and will be monitoring for parking violations.
- Some Mississauga conservation areas and trails to remain closed for now
- Off-Trail Areas in Popular Mississauga Conservation Area Might be Unsafe
- Mississauga Conservation Area Asking Residents to Respect Dog-Related Rules
- inTop 5 Parks/Conservation Areas to Enjoy the Day!
- Parts of Popular Mississauga Conservation Area Might Be Unsafe
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Anti-masker's racist rant in Mississauga grocery store
- T&T CEO and Bonnie Crombie address racist tirade at Mississauga grocery store
- Man threatened staff at Mississauga clinic after being asked to wear a mask: Police
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: 407 closed due to massive fire
- Potential COVID-19 exposure identified on flight from Pearson Airport in Mississauga