Community COVID-19 outbreak declared after Western university students test positive
LONDON, Ont. -- The Middlesex-London Health Unit is declaring a community COVID-19 outbreak after five Western University students tested positive for the virus.
The unit says all five students live in the area and had multiple interactions with people at downtown bars and restaurants.
It says more positive cases are expected in the coming days because of the number of contacts associated with the investigation.
The MLHU says the students weren't attending classes or activities on campus, but did have multiple interactions with people in neighbouring houses.
It's advising anyone who went to downtown clubs, bars and restaurants to self-monitor for symptoms and to get tested if any surface.
Contact tracing staff are continuing to reach out to people who came in close contact with the positive cases of COVID-19 in the region.
"If we ever needed evidence to show there's still a risk from COVID-19 in the community, this is it," said Dr. Chris Mackie, Medical Officer of Health with the Middlesex-London Health Unit.
"We know the temptation to get back together with friends and party is great, but it is crucial that we all do our part to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
The Canadian Press
Cover photo courtesy of Western University’s official Facebook page
- COVID outbreak prompts Western University to end non-academic activities
- 99 people in Simcoe-Muskoka likely have COVID variant, doc warns of community spread
- Fifteen people test positive for COVID-19 after attending GTA church services
- St Catharines university students help public health set up COVID website and clinics
- Quebec says 41 students and staff tested positive for COVID-19 since reopening
- Mississauga, Brampton services will be affected by new federal holiday in September
- Large Mississauga complex used by Bell sold in billion dollar deal
- Dog dragged by car rescued in Mississauga by 'kind-hearted residents,' driver was allegedly impaired
- More Canadians say worst of COVID-19 yet to come as the Delta variant spreads: poll
- Peel Police on scene in Mississauga after cyclist struck by car