City of Hamilton plans to reopen facilities, resume programs in coming weeks
Published January 25, 2022 at 2:36 pm
As the latest round of COVID-19 restrictions is scheduled to start loosening next Monday (Jan. 31), the City of Hamilton has announced that some municipal services will also restart in the coming weeks.
Hamilton was forced to close some facilities and cancel programming in December 2021 in order to redeploy city staff to help in the city’s battle against the latest wave of the pandemic and vaccination efforts.
Last week, Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced that the province will begin a gradual loosening of restrictions starting next week, with plans for a full reopening by March.
In a press release issued Tuesday (Jan. 25) the City said that in alignment with the province, it too would begin the gradual process of reopening and reestablishing programming.
For now, Hamilton is taking a cautious approach to reopening as resources remained stretched in some areas and staff are still redeployed to help with COVID-19 efforts.
More details about the City’s plans for a gradual resumption of services and programming will be made available in the days and weeks to come.
Here are some of the highlights of the current plan:
- Arenas will reopen to permit holders beginning January 31, 2022.
- Public programming will resume in a phased approach beginning on January 31, 2022.
Additional public health measures and capacity limits will be in place.
- Recreation centres will reopen for drop-in aquatic and gym programming beginning February 7, 2022.
- Advanced aquatic leadership programming and certifications for staff and the public will start February 4, 2022, with registration opening on January 28, 2022.
- Drop in programming will resume February 7, 2022 and schedules will be available by February 4, 2022. Reservations will be available 25 hours prior to the start of the program. This includes:
Pool programming, including open swim and length swims
- Gym programming at select locations, including open gym and court sport programming (including pickleball)
- Water Fit programming will resume on February 21, 2022.
- Golf operations have resumed, with both disc golf and winter golf proceeding, weather permitting.
Seniors Centres & Programming
- Seniors Centres and clubs will be available to reopen beginning February 7, 2022. Details regarding location-specific openings will be available on the City’s website in the coming days.
- Senior Centre Without Walls phone programming will resume on February 7, 2022.
- Dundurn National Historic Site, the Hamilton Military Museum and the Hamilton Museum of Steam and Technology will reopen on February 1, 2022.
- All other museums will remain closed at this time to ensure adherence to current public health measures and to accommodate the redeployment of staffing resources to aid with ongoing vaccination efforts.
More information on the City of Hamilton’s response to COVID-19 can be found on its website.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising advertising