Changes coming to waste collection in Mississauga
With Christmas just a few days away, Region of Peel (Mississauga, Brampton, and Caledon) residents should note that some changes to the garbage exemption period are coming.
This year, there will be no garbaged exemption period during the holiday season. Previously, the exemption period took place in December over Christmas and the New Year. Now, the new dates are January 27-31, 2020 and February 3-7, 2020.
The region is urging residents to check their collection calendar to find their garbage exemption day.
During the exemption period, residents can put their extra garbage out only on their garbage collection day, not on their recycling collection day.
There is no maximum amount of acceptable garbage that residents can put on the curb. Acceptable garbage includes aluminum foil, bread and milk tags, chewing gum, pet waste, absorbent pads from meat trays, diapers, feminine hygiene products, coffee cups, plastic cereal and cracker box liners and shrink wrap.
Garbage bag tags are not required during exemption periods.
Excess garbage cannot weigh more than 20 kg (44 lbs), be larger than 66 cm (26 in) wide and 90 cm (35 in) high or be smaller than 30 cm (12 in) wide and 30 cm (12 in) high.
The region says residents should put their excess garbage close to but not on top of their garbage bins, leaving at least 1 m (3 ft.) of clear space between the extra garbage item(s) and the bins.
Residents are also encouraged to check their collection calendar or sign-up to receive free weekly collection reminders by email, text message, or phone call.
- Important garbage and waste collection news for Mississauga residents
- Some Permanent Changes Coming to Garbage Collection in Mississauga
- Important Garbage Collection Information for Mississauga Residents
- Upcoming Changes to Garbage Collection in Mississauga
- Important Garbage Collection Information for Mississauga
- One of Mississauga’s best-known bars will not be reopening
- Mississauga's “first and only outdoor picnic and beer garden experience" now open
- A new school is set to be built in Mississauga
- Popular cheesecake restaurant now open in Square One in Mississauga
- MiWay offering free transit to veterans later this month in Mississauga