CAUGHT ON VIDEO and PHOTOS: Protest against anti-Black racism at Celebration Square in Mississauga
With protests erupting south of the border in response to police brutality and the murder of George Floyd on May 25, Canada has started seeing its own share of protestors acting in solidarity and demanding change here too.
Hundreds of protestors gathered this afternoon in the area of Celebration Square, holding signs and chanting “Black lives matter”, “Defund the police”, “Hands up don’t shoot,” and more as they advocated for the use of body cameras on all Peel police officers.
Numerous vehicles at the scene honked their horns to show support as protestors marched past.
Videos and photos of the event can be seen below:
The protest was announced hours after Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie revealed that she, along with Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown, is pushing for Peel police officers to wear bodycams in a bid to increase transparency among the region’s police service.
A Mississauga resident has also created a change.org petition calling for bodycams for all Peel police officers.
At a June 3 press conference, Crombie announced that she and Brown plan to move a motion to explore the use of body cameras at the June 26 Peel Police Service Board meeting.
Crombie said that Peel police Chief Nishan Duraiappah supports the move.
“This will increase transparency and trust. They will not fix all problems, but they’re one tool that can help fight systemic racism,” Crombie said.
On June 2, Duraiappah addressed Floyd’s death and systemic racism in a letter posted on social media.
“As the profoundly troubling events in the United States continue to unfold, we acknowledge that anti-Black racism exists in Canda as well. The death of George Floyd is both a disturbing crime and truly heartbreaking, and it has shaken all of us at Peel Regional Police,” Duraiappah wrote.
- Mississauga mayor pushing for body cameras for Peel Regional Police
- Protest against anti-Black racism planned for Mississauga
- Protesters prepare to rally against anti-black, Indigenous racism
- Peel school board anti-Black racism review under fire for not having a Black reviewer
- Teachers’ union calls on Peel District School Board to address anti-Black racism in Mississauga schools
- Suspects, armed with a knife and gun, sought after Mississauga stabbing
- Male hospitalized following stabbing in Mississauga
- OPINION: Here's what I experienced at The Credit Valley Hospital drive-thru COVID-19 assessment centre in Mississauga
- Houses in Mississauga significantly more expensive than they were just one year ago
- PHOTOS: Intersection gets a fun makeover in Mississauga