Mississauga and Brampton fire departments issue safety reminder for Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

By

Published November 2, 2021 at 9:52 am

Fire departments in Mississauga and Brampton are reminding residents to protect themselves from carbon monoxide leaks.

Often called the “silent killer,” carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odourless and tasteless gas which can become deadly within minutes.

As part of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, Mississauga and Brampton fire departments are reminding residents to install CO alarms and make sure they are working properly.

Alarms should be installed on every level of the home and in a central location outside each sleeping area. CO alarms are required in all Ontario homes that have fuel-burning appliances, a fireplace or an attached garage.

Carbon monoxide can come from any source that burns fuel, including furnaces, water heaters, stoves, dryers and portable heaters.

Mississauga Fire said you should test your alarms frequently and never disable or unplug a CO alarm.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur suddenly and the symptoms can sometimes be mistaken for the flu. Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, breathlessness, collapse, loss of consciousness and death.

For more information and tips on carbon monoxide safety, visit the National Fire Protection Association.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies

Related News

advertising