Burlington fighter earns UFC contract thanks to 39-second guillotine submission

By

Published October 6, 2021 at 1:52 pm

A Burlington mixed martial arts fighter has earned a contract to fight at the upper echelon of the sport.

Mike “Proper” Malott, earned a UFC deal following his victory on Dana White’s Contender Series, a show that gives opportunities to up-and-coming fighters to show off their talents.

Mallot, 29, submitted Israel’s Shimon “Assassin” Smotritsky in 39 seconds via a guillotine choke. It was the second fastest submission in the six-year history of the show.

He trains and coaches with Team Alpha Male in California and called the win an emotional moment.

“This is something I’ve wanted since I was 12, 13 years old,” said Mallot.

“And I’ve been training consistently since then. More than half my life has been dedicated to this.”

The win improved Mallot’s record to 7-1 and it broke Smotritsky’s seven-fight winning streak.

White was impressed enough with the performance to offer Mallot a contract on the spot.

“Thirty-nine seconds. This kid is 7-1. Big, strong, tough, durable, Canadian,” said White, president of the UFC.

Mallot’s younger brother, Jeff, plays pro hockey in the Winnipeg Jets organization.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies

Related News

advertising