Brampton's Acheampong signs CFL deal with Argonauts
Brampton native Sam Acheampong is officially a member of the Toronto Argonauts.
The defensive lineman and graduate of Cardinal Ambrozic Catholic Secondary School in Brampton is one of four Canadians from the Argonauts 2020 draft class to sign with the Canadian Football League club.
A second-round selection (20 overall), Acheampong played four seasons with Wilfrid Laurier University and helped the Golden Hawks capture an OUA championship in 2016.
The six-foot-five, 247-pound lineman was an OUA first-team all-star in 2019 after recording 19 tackles, 5.5 sacks and one forced fumble in eight games.
The purple and gold defensive star completed his career with 53 tackles, 11.5 sacks and one forced fumble.
The Argonauts also signed first-round pick Theren Churchill, an offensive lineman, fifth-round pick Dion Pellerin, a fullback, and sixth-round pick Sam Baker, a receiver.
LAURIER ATHLETICS PHOTO
- Hamilton Tiger-Cats sign trio, including a Brampton product
- Mississauga's Henoc Muamba settles in with CFL's Toronto Argonauts
- Brampton's Courtney Stephen announces retirement from Ti-Cats after 8 CFL seasons
- Pickering outfielder drafted by Oakland in fourth round
- Hamilton Tiger-Cats DB Courtney Stephen announces retirement after 8 CFL seasons
- Brampton restaurant ordered to pay $13K in missed wages to former cook
- Unvaccinated students in Mississauga and Ontario will follow stricter COVID outbreak rules, Ontario top doc says
- Lotto winner from Mississauga thought it was a joke when he heard ‘Big Winner’
- Longtime friends from Brampton and Georgetown richer for sharing Lotto Max ticket
- Metrolinx expanding GO train service in Hamilton