Brampton's Acheampong signs CFL deal with Argonauts
Brampton native Sam Acheampong is officially a member of the Toronto Argonauts.
The defensive lineman and graduate of Cardinal Ambrozic Catholic Secondary School in Brampton is one of four Canadians from the Argonauts 2020 draft class to sign with the Canadian Football League club.
A second-round selection (20 overall), Acheampong played four seasons with Wilfrid Laurier University and helped the Golden Hawks capture an OUA championship in 2016.
The six-foot-five, 247-pound lineman was an OUA first-team all-star in 2019 after recording 19 tackles, 5.5 sacks and one forced fumble in eight games.
The purple and gold defensive star completed his career with 53 tackles, 11.5 sacks and one forced fumble.
The Argonauts also signed first-round pick Theren Churchill, an offensive lineman, fifth-round pick Dion Pellerin, a fullback, and sixth-round pick Sam Baker, a receiver.
LAURIER ATHLETICS PHOTO
- Brampton truck driver charged for smuggling cocaine into Canada
- Alarmingly 20% of all Brampton being tested currently have COVID-19
- Gun play has police on the scene at Brampton neighbourhood
- Mississauga ticketing for gathering in parks to home hair salons and more
- Mississauga boxing gym defying provincial lockdown orders facing charges by City