Brampton resident celebrated his big lotto win with champagne
A Brampton man is enjoying a big lotto win.
OLG recently announced that Jose De Melo, 77, is celebrating after winning an Ontario 49 second prize worth $50,000 in the October 14, 2020 draw.
De Melo told OLG that he likes to play the lottery whenever he has extra cash in his pocket.
"I choose special numbers which are my children's birth dates," he told OLG.
"When I scanned my ticket at the store I didn't know if I won $50 or $50,000 - I was very excited!"
De Melo said when he told his wife she didn't believe him and thought he was joking.
"We celebrated with champagne!"
De Melo plans to use his winnings to bring his family home to Portugal.
"I want to bring everyone together after the year we've had," he said.
The winning ticket was purchased at Jay Jalaram Inc. on Main Street in Brampton.
- Drivers charged after four tow trucks involved in street racing in Milton: Police
- $1 million lotto prize was won by a lottery player in Ontario
- Police searching for suspects after church vandalized in Mississauga
- Police on scene for reports of suspicious package in Mississauga
- Cheese, ranch seasoning, mangoes and more recalled from stores in Mississauga, Brampton and Ontario