Brampton getting first fully electric fire truck in Ontario
Brampton is set to make some emissions-free Ontario firefighting history.
The city announced Wednesday that it is adding a Rosenbauer RT, the first fully electric-powered fire truck on the market, to its firefighting arsenal. The City of Brampton will receive the truck late next year and it will be stationed at the Brampton Fire Campus, which is under construction.
The Rosenbauer RT can run for close to 100 kilometres on battery power, and respond to several emergencies on a single charge. Since it does not emit emissions, that will reduce boththe firefighters’ intake of carcinogens while battling blazes and the effect on the environment.
“The truck has many exciting features, from reducing carcinogens on scene, to the latest in ergonomic technologies, and will help enable us to become a leader in environmental sustainability,” Brampton Fire and Emergency Services Chief Bill Boyes said in a statement. “We look forward to using it to protect our community.”
The electric truck will replace one of Brampton’s front-line pumpers.
Like many passenger buses, the Rosenbauer RT’s ride height can be lowered and raised to improve ease of entry, and make it easier for firefighters who are already wearing heavy protective gear to access equipment. The ride height can vary from 17 cm to 47 cm.
Amsterdam, Berlin, Dubai, Los Angeles and Vancouver are among the other cities who have added electric fire trucks.
”Brampton is an innovative city, and we are always looking for new ways to improve upon our sustainability and protect our residents and staff,” said Wards 1 & 5 regional councillor Rowena Santos, who serves as the city’s chair of community services.
“The new fully electric fire truck will reduce risk and improve the health and safety of our dedicated Fire and Emergency Services team, and reduce emissions in our community. We are proud of Brampton Fire being a trailblazer on green technology.”
#Brampton @BramptonFireES is getting a fully electric fire truck! @CityBrampton will be one of the few world class cities like Berlin, Amsterdam, Dubai, LA & Vancouver to do this! @patrickbrownont @ChiefBoyes @paulvicente— Rowena Santos (@RoweSantos) June 16, 2021
See video on electric fire trucks here: https://t.co/oOjQ3U3wkr
(Screenshot from CNN Business.)
- Brampton donates fire truck to First Nation in Manitoba
- Crews responding to truck fully engulfed in fire in Mississauga
- Brampton's brand new electric buses launch tomorrow
- Brampton fire department offers tips to local residents to avoid dangerous home fires
- Brampton Mayor gets a charge out of new 2.75-billion federal fund for electric buses
- Male pronounced dead at scene after drowning in Brampton
- The controversial aircraft built and destroyed in Mississauga
- 1 in 3 Canadians considering 'workarounds' as Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton house prices keep rising
- 16 flights landing with COVID-19 at Pearson Airport in Mississauga most since February
- PICK A SIDE: When should masks no longer be mandatory in Ontario?