Big Event for a Good Cause Taking Place in Mississauga
Mississauga and Brampton residents will be lacing up their sneakers in June for the 18th annual Race Against Racism.
It’s “a fun-filled day of free ethnic food, ethnic music as well as ‘running’ for a great cause,” said Peel Regional Police Const. Vic Silvestre.
With a 5K road race, walk, stroller roll — whether you’re a competitive Type A or doing it for fun, it’s an activity for the whole family.
“We want to gather the various communities together and celebrate our region’s diversity,” said Silvestre.
“It's an amazing event where we can celebrate what makes us all unique by ‘breaking bread,’ catching a performance and just hang out with someone you may have never in the past.”
It’s taking place on June 16.
The flat course will start and finish in the ‘park areas A-E’ behind the Mississauga Valley Community Centre and this route will be marshalled by police officers.
Water stations will be available throughout the course.
Come for the run, stay for the eats.
There will be a variety of ethnic food “donated from our local partners,” said Silvestre. “From Oceans to Pillers, attendees will see samosas to spring rolls to pizza to halal meats to Krispy Kreme donuts,” among the options.
A race kit and T-shirt are available for the first 500 pre-registered entrants.
“The race kit will have numerous donations from our community partners who've donated goods and services,” said Silvestre.
Here’s a sample of what’s in the bag: 30-day passes to UFC Gym; bottles of Powerade; Panera Bread coupons; Aerosports Trampoline Park passes.
Cost: $15 for adults; $10 for seniors and youth 18 and under (add $5 for race day registration).
Entry forms are online and at all Peel police stations.
“Last year we saw about 800 people attend,” said Silvestre. “This year we're expecting to hit close to 1,000 attendees,” including participants.
The event begins at 10 a.m. at the Mississauga Valley Community Centre (1275 Mississauga Valley Blvd.)
Race kit pickup is on June 14 and June 15 in the front lobby of the Emil V. Kolb Centre for Police Excellence at 180 Derry Rd. E.
Remember, you can also register on race day at 8:45 a.m.
- Peel police's annual Race Against Racism goes virtual for 20th anniversary event
- Hamilton's Around the Bay Road Race boasts new format, races for 2021
- Start at the Finish - Have a Race Date
- Race was a factor when Peel police officers handcuffed black girl at Mississauga school, tribunal rules
- Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario rules race played a factor in police's treatment of six-year-old girl
- 100% of recent Mississauga and Brampton COVID patients not fully vaccinated
- 1 in 3 Canadians considering 'workarounds' as Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton house prices keep rising
- Mississauga grandfather plans to share big lotto win with his children
- Police investigating "reports of possible gunshots" in Brampton
- Brampton police investigation leads to 5 people facing firearms, kidnapping charges