Bianca Andreescu advances to round of 16
Bianca Andreescu, the number six ranked female tennis player in the world, has extended her winning streak to 16 consecutive games.
The Mississauga native is looking to add to her already impressive list of titles this year in Beijing, where she has her eyes set on another trophy--this one for the China Open.
Andreescu won her first-round matchup against Belarusian Aliaksandra Sasnovich two sets to one.
Competing for the first time since her historic U.S. Open victory over Serena Williams earlier this summer, Andreescu looked a little rusty in her return to action, as she dropped the first two games of the match.
However, she quickly regained her form, winning the next six, en route to the 2-1 victory--her 15th in a row.
Her second-round matchup was today against Elise Mertens of Belgium--a rematch of the U.S. Open’s quarterfinals.
Once again, Andreescu got the better of Mertens, winning in straight sets and advancing to the round of 16.
With the win, Andreescu currently owns the longest winning streak of 2019 at 16 consecutive games. She needs one more victory to tie Victoria Azarenka’s 17-game winning streak in 2016, and three more to tie Williams’ 19-game winning streak in 2015.
In her next match, the teenage phenom will take on American, Jennifer Brady on Thursday.
- Bianca Andreescu's winning streak comes to an end
- Here's When Missisauga's Bianca Andreescu Will Be Playing Tonight's U.S. Open Match
- Mississauga's Bianca Andreescu Takes Home Massive Earnings After Winning US Open
- Bianca Andreescu Reaches First-Ever Grand Slam Semifinals
- Bianca Andreescu withdraws from tournament due to injury