Beer and Cider Coming to More Grocery Stores in Mississauga
When we first heard whispers that select alcoholic beverages (only wine, beer and cider) were coming to Ontario grocery stores, we couldn't have been more thrilled.
No, hard liquor wasn't about to make its way to Loblaws and yes, there would be some caveats involved with the roll out (same LCBO prices and restrictions on late-night purchases), but the the news was welcome and lucky for us, the roll outs have continued.
The Ontario government just announced that beer and cider are coming to 87 more grocery stores in April.
Of those 87, five are located in Mississauga.
The province says the winning grocers were selected via a competitive bidding process held by the LCBO. The lucky winners will join over 200 grocery stores already authorized to sell beer and cider, bringing the total number of Ontario grocery stores offering the beverages to 370.
Vino lovers should also note that up to 70 of these stores can also sell wine.
Bringing beer, cider and wine to grocery stores is part of the largest change to alcohol retailing in the province since prohibition (and a sign that we're slowly but surely embracing slightly more liberal alcohol retail policies).
So, which Mississauga grocers will soon have beer and cider?
- Loblaws - 5970 Mclaughlin Rd.
- Longo Brothers Fruit Markets - 3163 Winston Churchill Blvd.
- Metro - 1858 Mississauga Valley Blvd.
- Walmart - 2160 Burnhamthorpe Rd. W.
- Walmart - 3155 Argentia Rd.
The province says grocers selling beer, cider or wine must have designated sales areas and standard hours of sale, abide by limitations on package size and alcohol content, and meet staffing and social responsibility training requirements.
Ultimately, beer and cider will be available in up to 450 grocery stores, including up to 300 that will also sell wine.
"The rollout of beer and cider in grocery stores has increased convenience for consumers and expanded opportunities for grocers, breweries and cideries to grow their businesses and create more jobs," says Charles Sousa, Minister of Finance.
- More Major Grocery Stores Now Sell Beer and Cider in Mississauga
- Even More Grocery Stores in Mississauga Could Soon Sell Beer and Cider
- Alcohol Coming to More Big-Name Grocery Stores in Mississauga
- More Beer Could be Coming to More Mississauga Grocery Stores
- Here are All the Grocery Stores You Can Get Booze at in Mississauga