Americans told to avoid Canada and flying into Mississasuga's Pearson Airport over COVID concerns
Americans have been warned to stay away from flying into Mississauga's Pearson Airport or any other Canadian port of entry because of COVID-19 concerns.
The Centre for Disease Control (CDC), the American government's national health agency, has issued a bulletin to U.S. citizens to avoid all travel to Canada.
In a statement the CDC says that because of the current COVID situation in Canada, even fully vaccinated travelers may at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants.
"Avoid all travel to Canada," the bulletin says.
It goes on to warn Americans that if they must travel to Canada, they should get fully vaccinated and that masks must be worn and crowds should be avoided.
Under current measures, most ground level crossings between the U.S. and Canada are closed aside from a few exceptions such as essential services and Canadians returning to Canada.
Even though strict measures are supposed to be in place, most traffic from the United States into Canada comes through Pearson Airport now. Each day several flights from the U.S. arrive at the airport, often carrying passengers who test positive for COVID upon arrival.
- Beginning September fully vaccinated can arrive at Mississauga's Pearson Airport
- Fully vaccinated Canadians arriving at Mississauga's Pearson Airport will be able to skip quarantine
- New travel advisory urging residents to avoid non-essential travel outside Canada
- Vaccinated Americans may be allowed into Canada by mid-August, PM tells premiers
- With most arrived at Mississauga's Pearson Airport, 5,000 travellers with COVID entered since February
- Dog dragged by car rescued in Mississauga by 'kind-hearted residents,' driver was allegedly impaired
- More Canadians say worst of COVID-19 yet to come as the Delta variant spreads: poll
- Peel Police on scene in Mississauga after cyclist struck by car
- Trio robs Brampton convenience store, police say
- New retail and commercial development proposed in Burlington