Nearly 2,000 Transport Truck Drivers Charged in OPP Traffic Safety Blitz
Distracted driving is never okay — in a recent traffic safety blitz, the OPP charged a massive amount of distracted and other unsafe transport truck drivers with various offences.
Operation Safe Trucking took place across Ontario from December 11-15, 2017, and the results might surprise you.
Over the five-day safety blitz, officers stopped close to 3,500 commercial motor vehicles (CMVs), laid 1,836 charges and took 71 unsafe CMVs out of service.
The OPP drove transport trucks on highways across the province during the blitz to get a better vantage point and get more unsafe truck drivers off the roads. Further, the OPP used aircraft and sprinter vans to help see aggressive CMV drivers.
Of the 1,836 total charges, 223 were for distracted driving, 336 were for speeding, 111 for following too close, and 185 for other moving violations.
Another 185 were charged for having CMVs with defective equipment.
The highest number of charges, however, were for improper documentation — 537 drivers were charged.
"Our Operation Safe Trucking enforcement results are the latest reminder that more work needs to be done to reduce the serious public safety risks posed by some commercial motor vehicle drivers,” said OPP Commissioner J.V.N. (Vince) Hawkes in a recent statement.
“As expected, our officers noted that the vast majority of CMV drivers were operating their trucks in a safe manner during this initiative. The OPP would like to thank these (and other) drivers who contribute to safe roads and help save lives."
Hopefully, this will improve transport truck safety on the roads.
- Major Project Underway in Mississauga
- What's Open and Closed Victoria Day Monday in Mississauga
- You Will Be Ticketed for Doing This at a Red Light Camera in Mississauga
- Massive Waterfront Development is Underway in Mississauga Near Port Credit
- Province Advising Residents to Beware of Ticks and Lyme Disease
- Massive Amount of People Charged in Distracted Driving Blitz in Mississauga
- Here's How Many Distracted Drivers OPP Charged
- Police Lay Close to 200 Traffic Charges Over Two Days in Peel
- VIDEO: Ontario Police Using Public Transit to Catch Distracted Drivers
- Several Drivers Arrested During First Half of Impaired Driving Blitz