407 introducing new seasonal toll rates
If you avoid highway 407 to save money, you might be happy to hear that some seasons will be more affordable than others going forward.
407 ETR recently announced that effective Feb. 1, 2020, it will be aligning its pricing structure with seasonal traffic patterns.
This means that drivers will pay less per kilometre in the spring and winter when traffic is lower compared to the summer when the highway is busiest.
Charges and fees, including the trip toll charge, camera charges, transponder lease fee and other account fees will not increase and remain frozen at 2019 levels.
The seasonal periods are spring (Feb. 1, 2020, to April 30, 2020), summer (May 1, 2020, to Oct. 31, 2020) and winter (Nov. 1, 2020, to Jan. 31, 2021).
The 407 says rates will continue to vary by time of entry, day of the week, section travelled, the direction of travel and weight of the vehicle.
“We’re committed to preserving the exceptional 407 ETR experience that drivers want and have enjoyed over the last 20 years,” said 407 ETR president and Chief Executive Officer, Andres Sacristan.
“Customers tell us that we save them anywhere from 20 to 60 minutes of driving time each trip. Seasonal tolling will help us maintain this remarkable value in all seasons.”
The 407 says summer traffic has been increasing and is up to 25 per cent busier than spring and winter. In June 2019, a new one-day record was set for the number of trips on the highway.
Tolls pay all of the costs of operating the highway including adding lanes and maintenance; 24/7 highway monitoring and roadside assistance to over 3,000 drivers each year; policing and Ontario Ministry of Transportation heavy vehicle inspections.
- The Truth Behind the Mysterious Koliba Park in Mississauga
- VIDEO: People going nuts for Krispy Kreme doughnuts in Mississauga
- Waste service changes coming to Mississauga amid COVID-19 outbreak
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: First responders salute hospital workers in Mississauga
- House of the Week: $3 mil Lorne Park home with beautiful interior
- Here's how much car insurance rates will be increasing in 2020
- Here’s How Much 407 Tolls are Rising Next Month
- Brampton and Mississauga may charge more for waste collection services in 2020
- Gardiner Expressway reduced to two lanes until 2020
- Lanes Blocked On Highway 401 Westbound Due To Vehicle Fire