407 introducing new seasonal toll rates
If you avoid highway 407 to save money, you might be happy to hear that some seasons will be more affordable than others going forward.
407 ETR recently announced that effective Feb. 1, 2020, it will be aligning its pricing structure with seasonal traffic patterns.
This means that drivers will pay less per kilometre in the spring and winter when traffic is lower compared to the summer when the highway is busiest.
Charges and fees, including the trip toll charge, camera charges, transponder lease fee and other account fees will not increase and remain frozen at 2019 levels.
The seasonal periods are spring (Feb. 1, 2020, to April 30, 2020), summer (May 1, 2020, to Oct. 31, 2020) and winter (Nov. 1, 2020, to Jan. 31, 2021).
The 407 says rates will continue to vary by time of entry, day of the week, section travelled, the direction of travel and weight of the vehicle.
“We’re committed to preserving the exceptional 407 ETR experience that drivers want and have enjoyed over the last 20 years,” said 407 ETR president and Chief Executive Officer, Andres Sacristan.
“Customers tell us that we save them anywhere from 20 to 60 minutes of driving time each trip. Seasonal tolling will help us maintain this remarkable value in all seasons.”
The 407 says summer traffic has been increasing and is up to 25 per cent busier than spring and winter. In June 2019, a new one-day record was set for the number of trips on the highway.
Tolls pay all of the costs of operating the highway including adding lanes and maintenance; 24/7 highway monitoring and roadside assistance to over 3,000 drivers each year; policing and Ontario Ministry of Transportation heavy vehicle inspections.
- Amazing Aerial Shots of Mississauga From The 70s
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Aftermath of stolen tractor-trailer smashing into a gas station and vehicles in Mississauga
- Mississauga residents celebrating group lotto win
- Bonus House of the Week: Iconic and Mysterious Castle House in Mississauga
- Huge winning lottery ticket sold in Mississauga
- Brampton and Mississauga may charge more for waste collection services in 2020
- Here’s How Much 407 Tolls are Rising Next Month
- Gardiner Expressway reduced to two lanes until 2020
- Here’s how much your landlord can increase your rent in 2020 in Mississauga
- These Driving Fees Won't be Increasing This Year in Mississauga