4-year-old dies after choking at a Brampton school
Published February 2, 2024 at 6:19 pm
The death of a four-year-old boy after choking at a Brampton school isn’t being treated as suspicious, police say, and the school board isn’t providing details of how the boy died.
Peel Regional Police say officers were called to Brampton’s Stanley Mills Public School for reports of a choking incident on the afternoon of Dec. 6.
A four-year-old boy was rushed to hospital from the school. He died two weeks later, on Dec. 22, according to reports.
The child was Nayel Sultan Ahmed, of Brampton, a boy who “displayed wisdom beyond his years,” according to his obituary.
A spokesperson for the Peel District School Board told insauga.com that staff “provided immediate response to the student alongside emergency services” and “have been in touch with the family over these past months in support.”
And while police say Ahmed’s death isn’t considered suspicious, the boy’s father is reportedly still searching for answers and calling for an investigation.
When reached for comment, the board declined to speak about specifics of the incident, but Nayel’s father, Naushad Ahmed, told local outlets his son choked on a grape, and that he’s heard little from the PDSB since.
He said he wants a full investigation into Nayel’s death to avoid any similar incidents in the future.
The PDSB said it follows all first-aid training requirements under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, and has “first-aid equipment, facilities and trained personnel on-site to provide emergency first-aid assistance in the event of a workplace incident…for all PDSB schools and work sites.”
Nayel’s obituary says he was “the delight of everyone’s eyes” and a member of Brampton’s Ahmadiyya Muslim community.
“May Allah the Almighty grant the family solace and fortitude and enable them to bear this loss with patience,” it reads.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising