28-day ‘shutdown’ coming to Mississauga, Brampton and the rest of Ontario
If you had a hair appointment in Mississauga and Brampton on April 12th you might have to cancel.
Ontario is expected to announce a 28-day provincewide "shutdown" today to stop the spread of COVID-19 as an alarming spike in cases threatens the critical care system.
A source with knowledge of the restrictions discussed at an hours-long cabinet meeting Wednesday night says the final details of the new measures will be worked out this morning.
The source, who was not authorized to speak publicly about the announcement, says schools will remain open after the Easter weekend.
Premier Doug Ford urged Ontarians earlier this week to stay home and not make plans for the Easter long weekend in anticipation of the new rules.
Ontario reported 2,333 new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday and 15 more deaths linked to the virus.
The province also had 421 COVID-19 patients in intensive care units -- a new high.
- Ontario enters province-wide shutdown, patio dining suspended in Mississauga and Brampton
- Announcement on possible new restrictions coming to Mississauga, Brampton and Ontario
- Ontario hits 150 COVID-19 cases in intensive care, 361 new cases reported in Peel
- Mississauga and Brampton now under provincewide ‘shutdown’ to control spread of COVID-19
- Doug Ford set to announce plans for gradually reopening Mississauga, Brampton and Ontario
- Select Mississauga and Brampton residents between 18 and 49 can book vaccines this week
- Couple charged following hate-related incident in parking lot in Mississauga
- Mass rollout of the 18+ vaccination sites in hotspots weeks away in Mississauga
- Speed cushions to be installed on four Mississauga roads
- Mississauga and Brampton rolling out mobile vaccine clinics targeting essential workers