18-Year-Old Mississauga Tennis Star Advances in Australian Open
It’s no secret that it’s been an absolutely huge year for 18-year-old up and coming tennis star Bianca Andreescu.
The teen athlete, who hails from Mississauga, recently made headlines when she defeated world-famous tennis champion Venus Williams on Jan. 4 in the 2019 ASB Classic Quarterfinal in Auckland, New Zealand
Prior to her impressive win against one of the world’s best known tennis stars, she defeated Caroline Wozniacki in another huge upset.
Last weekend, Andreescu’s incredible winning streak came to an end when she was defeated by defending champ Julia Goerges in the finals.
But she’s currently picking up speed in the Australian Open.
BOOM. Bianca Andreescu is into the #AusOpen main draw, overcoming Tereza Smitkova 6-0, 4-1 ret.— Tennis Canada (@TennisCanada) January 11, 2019
After an exhausting week in Auckland, the 18-year-old got a little lucky in qualifying with two retirement wins, but hey, we’ll take it.
Fresh and ready for the main draw. pic.twitter.com/sDjPBXPlWH
Tennis Canada recently tweeted that Andreescu is into the Australian Open’s main draw, overcoming Tereza Smitkova 6-0, 4-1 ret.
“After an exhausting week in Auckland, the 18-year-old got a little lucky in qualifying with two retirement wins, but hey, we’ll take it,” says Tennis Canada.
Andreescu also weighed in on her progress.
Not exactly the way I wanted to qualify but main draw here I come #AO19— Bianca V. Andreescu (@Bandreescu_) January 11, 2019
It’ll be exciting to see how Andreescu does going forward.
Photo courtesy of Tennis Canada’s official Twitter account
- 18-Year-Old Mississauga Woman Beats Venus Williams in Huge Tennis Upset
- BREAKING: Mississauga Tennis Star Bianca Andreescu Becomes First Canadian to Win US Open Women's Singles
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu Makes it to Finals in California Tournament
- Mississauga Female Tennis Player Makes it to Finals in New Zealand
- Mississauga Tennis Champ Bianca Andreescu Rockets Up the Global Rankings