113 Charges Laid During R.I.D.E. Campaign in Mississauga
The holiday season is typically marked by decadent meals, tons of shopping, elaborate decorations and, now, Peel police's Festive Season R.I.D.E. Campaign.
For those who don't know, the campaign is designed to detect impaired drivers and charge or fine them accordingly. This past December, R.I.D.E. was out in full swing, kicking off on Saturday, Nov, 19 2016 and wrapping up on Monday, Jan. 2 2017.
As far as numbers go, Peel police recently announced that of the 33,011 vehicles stopped, a total of 215 people were charged (four of those were drug-related impaired driving charges) and 208 drivers received WARN Range Suspensions.
According to police, 208 individuals received WARN Range Suspensions and the length of those suspensions ca range from anywhere from three to 30 days. The time is dependant on whether the driver has been issued a WARN suspension in the past.
In terms of city breakdown, 113 charges were laid in Mississauga and 102 charges were laid in Brampton. Sixty-nine of those charged were between the ages of 21 and 40 years old. Of the 69 per cent, 121 were men and 30 were women.
"It is concerning that the number of persons charged is this high during a six week period. This number represents the need to continue Festive R.I.D.E and other road safety initiatives to ensure safe travels for the residents and visitors of the Region of Peel," said Inspector Paul Pogue, Road Safety Services of Peel Regional Police, in a news release. Moving forward in 2017, Peel Regional Police will continue to work with our partnering agencies to educate the community and enforce the rules of the road for safe travels."
Peel police are pleading with the public to avoid drinking and driving, emphasizing that it is, above all else, a serious public safety issue.
- Multiple People Arrested During First Weekend of Impaired Driving Blitz
- Several Drivers Arrested During First Half of Impaired Driving Blitz
- Hundreds of Impaired Driving Charges Laid in OPP Festive RIDE
- Alarming Amount of Impaired Driving Charges Laid this Holiday Season in Mississauga
- How Many Drivers in Mississauga Were Nabbed Drinking Over the Holidays?
- Mississauga man charged after hate-motivated incident
- Mississauga student receives one of Canada's most coveted scholarships
- Man chains himself to tree outside of hard-hit Mississauga long-term care home to demand change
- Quebec says 41 students and staff tested positive for COVID-19 since reopening
- Ontario secondary schools have room for improvement: report