$100,000 raised in just four days for family of Brampton teen who died of COVID-19
The COVID-19 death of a Brampton teenager has been met with an outpouring of grief and support from the community which has raised over $100,000 to pay for the cost of a funeral.
In just four days the GoFundMe page for 13-year-old Emily Victoria Viegas shows $125,253 has been raised (as of this evening April 27).
Donations in amounts ranging $5 to $1,000 have been pouring in since the news of Emily's tragic story became public on the weekend.
The campaign started off with a goal to reach just $10,000, but supportive members of the community began contributing immediately since the GoFundMe page was launched.
After displaying symptoms of the virus for about a week, Emily died April 22 after being found unconscious at home. She was taken to Brampton Civic Hospital but could not be revived. Doctors say she died as a result of COVID-19 and pneumonia.
Emily is believed to be one of the youngest people in Canada to succumb to the affects of COVID-19.
(Photo from Facebook)
- 13 year old Brampton girl is one of the youngest to die from COVID-19; here's how you can help
- City of Brampton lowers flags in honour of teenager who died from COVID-19
- GoFundMe campaign for Mississauga nurse who died of COVID-19 surpasses $20,000 goal
- GoFundMe page created for man who died trying to save cousins
- GoFundMe started for Mississauga nurse who died from COVID-19
- Canada Revenue Agency scam backfires, three from Brampton now face charges
- Father from Mississauga celebrating a big lotto win living out his ‘Price is Right’ dream
- Police bring down organized crime group breaking into Mississauga homes
- No criminal circumstances in death of Brampton child, say police
- Popular Korean-style hotdogs joint coming to Mississauga